• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from North Carolina

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome, The Forum here I would say is not really a BOF per say but a Military Vehicle, Conveyance site. If you are into prepping I suppose you can find some information here but I like to say as a hobby I like the history of Military vehicles and what their purposes were, are.

As for the 1009 the truck is very versatile as they can travel off road quite well yet can do a reasonable highway speed.

Bulldog42010

Welcome, The Forum here I would say is not really a BOF per say but a Military Vehicle, Conveyance site. If you are into prepping I suppose you can find some information here but I like to say as a hobby I like the history of Military vehicles and what their purposes were, are.

As for the 1009 the truck is very versatile as they can travel off road quite well yet can do a reasonable highway speed.
I agree with you on all accounts. I’m also into military history though I must admit that I’m not a historian in any way. As for the m1009 I love my square body chevys and I figured the m1009 is the best of all three aspects.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
If you would like to purchase a MV do some searching into what kind of costs are associated with owning a 1009. The 1009 is part civi truck and part military truck.

To own one either be prepared to work on and maintain yourself or you may need to find a mechanic that understands the military systems involved and how to repair and find parts that are becoming rarer every day.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I agree with you on all accounts. I’m also into military history though I must admit that I’m not a historian in any way. As for the m1009 I love my square body chevys and I figured the m1009 is the best of all three aspects.

Well if you own or have worked on 80's Chevrolets, GMC's then you have some knowledge of the civi parts of the trucks.

Bulldog42010

If you would like to purchase a MV do some searching into what kind of costs are associated with owning a 1009. The 1009 is part civi truck and part military truck.

To own one either be prepared to work on and maintain yourself or you may need to find a mechanic that understands the military systems involved and how to repair and find parts that are becoming rarer every day.
I’ve learned that 84-87 1009s were exactly the same. But 84-87 k5 blazers changed. As far as parts I will need to go by the 84 k 5 blazer

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Retired MV's are still very useful as to continue with being used for their intended use or as a fun to own and drive to here or there.

Of course these are my thoughts, and everyone here has their own reasons also, as do you. But you are on the right track as the 1009 is a very capable, rugged and easily driven truck.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you are in Lexington. I’m in Seagrove. I have a 1009 (rough and not for sale) but you can check it out to see if it’s what you are really looking for. Welcome to the forum

fasttruck

The biggest difference between a civilian blazer and a M1009 are likely to be electrical. Most of them would be configured for a 24 volt military radio so they have 2 batteries and 2 alternators for the 24 volt side and 12 volts is drawn off at some point for the lights, heater etc. Door latches, window regulators, brakes would be the same as a civilian truck from which they are derived. The trailer harness is also 24 volt to accommodate military trailers with 24 volt lights.

fasttruck

When these vehicles were an issue item, parts people were , at least in CONUS, to go down to the local Chevrolet dealer and draw non military specific parts.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
The biggest difference between a civilian blazer and a M1009 are likely to be electrical. Most of them would be configured for a 24 volt military radio so they have 2 batteries and 2 alternators for the 24 volt side and 12 volts is drawn off at some point for the lights, heater etc. Door latches, window regulators, brakes would be the same as a civilian truck from which they are derived. The trailer harness is also 24 volt to accommodate military trailers with 24 volt lights.
Hi and welcome to the site, I have always used 1985 as a reference for parts with no issue yet. As fastrrack has stated electrical is the biggest difference, there are 2 12v alternators each charging one battery but even they are different. One is standard off the shelf the other is a non grounded unit. Someone posted up there was a Cadillac that used these also? Don't let anyone work on it unless they know and understand this. As for 24v stuff I have to differ with fastrack, 24v powers starter, glow plugs, radios (military) and slave port. Far as I have found everything else is 12v including trailer plug. Study "Doghead starter relay" make sure this is done or do it.

CUCV wiring diagrams

As for BOV's Subaru station wagon, 4 or AWD, fuel efficient, room for your stuff and most important INCOGNITO. If the SHTF the last thing you want is to draw attention!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks