• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy From North Carolina

Brian H.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Brian Hicks, I am 23 years of age (24 on the 22nd) and I was fascinated by the M35A2 as a kid, as well as the 5 ton Variant for three reasons. 1. Living in the old Camp Butner, I used to see the trucks run up and down the roads all the time going to and from the Maintenance Facility at the end of my street (not actually on my street, but close enough) 2. The movie Tremors 2 has a Deuce which played a fairly large role. 3. In Butner, the Fire Station had a 5 Ton Studebaker built Tanker which was in active service until 2003 when it was replaced by a new tanker and I was in the Explorers when I was a Teen and I loved the truck.

As I grew older, I lost interest in the trucks, but recently in the past couple years my interest has re-grown, partially because of The Maintenance Post/Armory putting several different MVs that have been rebuilt on display on the side of A st, including the aforementioned 5 Ton tanker, still sporting it's Red and Silver paint job. My interest became high as of recent as the company I work with is using an abandone lot in Cary, NC as a lay-down yard and there is an M818 on the property that has been abandoned, Supposedly a house moving company owns it, but obviously they do not care for the truck as it has apparently been sitting up for at the very least 2 years. The truck has been vandalized, but it's still mostly there. I have included pictures of the truck. She's really rough, but I think it could be restored, or would make a great parts truck.

Thank You, Brian

Attachments

airmech3839

Welcome to the site and good luck with the 818.... Make sure you do it as legal as possible so as to not cause problems...

Again welcome to the green club!!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Welcome , theres lots of us near you. That looks to be a multifuel 50 series 5 ton tractor you found. If you need any help or want to do some events theres some good MV clubs near by , Jay

AMGeneral

Welcome Brian,by looking at the pictures,it's either a M52A1 or M52A2 having either the Mack ENDT 673 diesel(A1) or the LDS 465 A1 multifuel(A2).

A couple pics under the hood would help in identification,but my guess is,being a house moving company,it probably has the rare and desireable Mack powerplant.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome the the Green Iron Loony Bin :cookoo:

The folks up in NC will make you welcome I'm sure.

Just watch out for that AMGeneral guy.....you can look in his eyes and tell there ain't nobody home.:mrgreen:

If you ain't careful he'll drag you to the GA Rally in Oct and there will be no escape from the Green Iron Madness.:shock:

Brian H.

Found out who owns the truck this morning, and got the phone number for him. The clutch is out in it, it REQUIRES ether to start in any temperature, it burns oil and has been sitting for 19 months. The price? $2500 with the axles. He wants the axles (all 3!) out of it and was very rude when I offered him $500 for the truck without the axles as-is. Yes, it's worth quite a bit more than $2500, but not with everything that's wrong with it. I'm sorry, but he can keep er, not when I can get a running driving Deuce for the same money. Granted, it is an A1 which has the Mack engine, but still.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I was hoping it was an A1,but from the sound of the description,it sounds pretty tired,If it requires either all the time,Injection pump is probably worn out,and a rebuild for that is $1800,Burning oil is somewhat normal for a diesel,just depends on the amount.

Add in the clutch being shot(which is specific to the Mack engine as well) it is worth about scrap price( maybe $1000) on a good day.

I'd say it'll sit there till it returns to it's basic elements.

Sad end for what would have been a nice truck to restore.

gel69

hello Brian and welcome.
try to get in touch with whomever own the lot where the truck is sitting. (local tax collector office should do or property appraiser office).
I am sure if this thing has been left there for a while the property owner could be very willing to get it off his back.
good luck

Gil

Bartow Florida

Brian H.

Thanks Guys, trust me... as soon as my money's right... I will be getting something. I've got access to 400+ gallons of used motor oil and the Multifuel is a must for me.

Brian H.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I hope to find something that has power steering (or air assist) so that a smaller steering wheel, OR a u-joint may be placed in the steering shaft so the wheel can be placed closer and more vertical to the dash. I am 6'5" and quite a bit overweight and from what I've seen I will be unable to fit unless I go on a serious diet which will be good for me:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks