• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from NV - Hello everyone

Freeland

Hello everyone. I joined this site late last year and haven't been on at all. Just thought I'd finally introduce myself and post a few pics of my M1008. I just got the thing last year, I've put a lot of work into it; I got it with a dealer friend of mine through an auction- it had been sitting at Yuma, AZ for years.

Anyhow, I appreciate this site for all of the valuable sources and for the people who make it all possible. Thank you.

-Freeland
Reno, NV
IMG_1197.jpgIMG_1278.jpgIMG_1389.jpgIMG_1582.jpgsandman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

Looks to be in pretty nice shape. Is that a recent coat of paint?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! Nice looking truck ya got there! Been wanting one of those since I sold the five ton. They come, they go, but the herd stays the same! LOL

dmetalmiki

Very nice, and welcome, One (or two or even three even) could eat their dinners off that so clean vehicle. Very nice restoration. Now you must attend some events meet up with like minded folks, and scheme on getting another one. (and another and...)

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome Freeland from Cape Cod, MA. Looks like a nice truck you have there. Lots of info and knowledgable people here to help. Enjoy the ride. :driver:

Freeland

Thanks all. My apologies for the use of the f-bomb in my original thread title, Warthog..
Yes, my friend is a big-rig diesel mechanic who works at a shop with a paint booth that you can fit a semi truck into. We prepped it and re-painted it, when I got it the paint was very oxidized and rough almost like sand paper. I acquired some more Mil-Spec CARC "sand" from my source and we repainted it with that. It really needed a new coating after sitting out in the desert and getting sun burnt all of these years.

The truck has been work from Day 1, and I enjoy working on it because everything is pretty much easy to get to, they are basic, but tough. The 1 nemesis that I have been battling since Day 1 up to today is air intrusion in the fuel, I suspect that it is coming from one of the hard line compression fittings at fuel injector, left-bank. And speaking of fuel injectors, these Bosch fuel injectors are extremely basic, I removed all 8 of them put each one in a vice, cracked them all open, and cleaned the heck out of them with solvent, re-assembled them, pop tested them for spray pattern, re-installed in truck. I tell you what, after replacing the Fuel Filter with a really good screw on style filter, and cleaning and re-installing all of the injectors, my truck runs night and day better.

Today determined that the radiator is leaking from 6 different places, pulling radiator tomorrow to have it professionally re-cored at a local shop. Always something to work on! :D So many things I'd like to add to it or modify also.. Air Conditioning, 6.5 Turbo swap, COMM radio/stereo system, sound dampening/cab insulation w/LMC carpet kit.. ahh the wishlist goes on, I enjoy it for what it is in stock condition for now.

tommys2patrick

Howdy and welcome from Colorado. In terms of preserving things I suppose the desert is a lot better then the coast. But the heat/cold/sun can still do some damage. Looks good though and they are pretty tough, easy to work on!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks