• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Oklahoma

Beandip

got the front end stripped down for the detroit locker.
r

front U joints were starting to seize up.

new non greasable spicers are on the way.
by

one of the better investments i've made. cost almost as much as the locker itself, but how easy it made for carrier bearing removal made it worth it.

its nice not having to damage the bearing or the shims.

also had gravel delivered for the back driveway to the shed/storage. couldn't resist it. This was taken a few days prior to the teardown. also replacing the inner axle seals with spicers and the inner spindle seal was torn.

Last edited:

Beandip

Thanks guys!

Ended up reusing the carrier bearings. they were in great condition. sort of surprised being i'm not sure how often the military had these trucks locked in 4x4. The truck has 56K, but no telling....

New Spicer non-greasable joints.

everything prepped for carrier/seal install.

Its a shame no place here locally carries this style with the metal axle guide. I ordered spare seals just to have around.

after checking setup. Got lucky and the pattern was very similar to the old carrier and backlash at .008"

Tried some "camo" paint. i was surprised its decent. not a perfect match by any means, but more than close enough for something that is going to get bashed into rocks. I still need to order the legit paint to spray the tailgate to match the truck. I may even use this same color, despite not being a good match. whole lot better than a half primer/blue tailgate lol. Half-tempted to paint my rock rings too..

done! whats funny is the paint is actually darker than the body paint, but all the overspray on the axle/truck is darker.

Gave it a good test on the jackstands turning the tires by hand, locks up/unlocks etc. took it out on my driveway with some concrete to test it out and for sure locks up good up front. enough to roll the tire a bit. Still only have 11 PSI in the tires. Rides like a caddy on the street :)

Last edited:

Beandip

It's really not bad. Those metal cones to guide the axle gave me a little trouble. But stuck a pry bar in there to give the pipe something to bite against when hamming them out.

Thanks for the support guys.

Beandip

So finally replaced the rusty inner fender that rotted from a leaky battery. Gotta love free stuff!

Copied the trimming i did and made it a tad neater.

Yay for a solid fender!

noticed the other day testing the locker in a nearby field that my brakes were fading. gently get on the brakes and then it will slowly fade and drift to the floor. yet if you quickly push in the brakes it would firm up. determined the master cylinder is leaking internally since i did not have an external leak.

some generic camo spray paint to get rid of that ugly primer/blue tailgate it had going on. as rough as the paint is over the rest of the truck, i'm not too worried about the color mismatch. if anything i can get a can of CARC and spray over it...because rock crawler lol. as much as I'd like to paint it legit, i have to remind myself the trees/branches this thing drives through.

Rubberized undercoated both front inner fenders. at least that will cover up the paint chipped inner fenders.

3/8" plate diff cover from ruffstuff installed. i was fairly busy on my few days off :)

Beandip

started this earlier this week. one of the things that keeps this truck from reaching its full potential...needed to be done so finally decided to start now. cut of 13.5" off the back.

after doing this i can see why its going to make a huge difference.

the military definitely didn't want this bumper coming off. wow. supports everywhere,
3/8" plate mounts and even bolts to the bottom of the frame.

after sanding/feathering 4 different layers of camo paint.

isnt perfect by any means. has a little bit of dip from me slightly warping the panel. had the gap set too close and yep.... oh well. for a trail rig it will be fine. i need to build a simple square tubing bumper, and looks like i can salvage the stock brackets and modify to make it work.

I need to get some CARC paint...

Beandip

bit more progress done on it.

I got the factory brackets modified to fit. luckily they line up with a factory hole in the frame and worked out perfect for the length. i got pretty lucky for it to miss all the rivets for the shackle mount! once i got my through holes cut i welded the square tubing to the 3/8" stock mounts to make one large bracket.

cut a little spot for a receiver hitch. might as well.

slapped on some rattle can bedliner.

therooster2001

Those are darn good welds... I am always impressed by how good some people can fabricate, there is real genius in your end product. I saw you mention CARC a couple of times. Unless you want this really original paint, use the Behr stuff. Cheaper, covers nice and can be sprayed, although I prefer a small roller to match texture. Goes right over the CARC easily too. No need to sand, not that you want those stuff airborne either. The paint codes are all in the paint forum section. The truck is coming along nice.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I hate to see any cucv get chopped on, you do very nice work and take the time needed and use excellent parts.

I flew over that area last week and thought I saw your truck. Didn't have time to circle around.

Just like everyone else, I wish I could weld like that!

Nice job on the thread updates

Beandip

Thanks for the support. I knew that cutting up one of these trucks won't be supported by everyone. But for a rock crawler they are just awesome. At least I'm trying to make it look good in the process and not all hacked up :p Didn't expect any members to be close by in Lawton. I'm literally by the Goodyear plant. I thought I saw your truck one day driving by cucv03. But that was a while back when my truck was all stock.

didnt think i posted it but this what happens when the bumper sticks out too much...

dragged ass all the way up here.

Last edited:

M1009CUCV03

Yours looks awesome!Glad to have another tan one in the area! I see yours does the thing mine does where it changes color based on how humid it is, the dryer out the whiter it is, the wetter the darker it is

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks