• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from Pacific NW

manders

Hello to all!

I've been dancing around for 4+ years waiting to take the plunge and yesterday I finally found my courage!

Now I'm just wondering what the heck I was thinking!!! :razz:

I won a GL auction for a M923. Joyce at Ft. Lewis was incredibly helpful, and gave me some good info about the what condition it's in, e.g., it starts, it runs, it was driven to site about 8 days ago, they can jump it if needed, etc.

That said, I respectfully ask for a bit of guidance as I get ready for the pick-up:

1. Ft. Lewis is about 63 miles from my home, and based on the positive results of a pre-pickup inspection I will be doing on Tuesday, my plan is to "drive" it home.

2. And when I say "drive", what I really mean is ... please please please someone from the site put me in touch with a local and experienced resource who wants to earn a little money for a few hours assistance. :-D

3. And though I'm knee-deep in the various operational and maintenance TM's, I will gladly accept advice for any not-so-obvious things to check and verify before pulling away from the curb.

4. I'd also appreciate a recommendation for a Seattle-area mechanic experienced with this series.

I'm a big fan of Dirty Harry - especially the "a man's gotta know his limitations" quote from Magnum Force - so I'm smart enough to know when I'm about to drift into the deep end of the pool! ;-}

I greatly appreciate any and all assitance and I'm looking forward to joining this great club!

Cheers,

MAnders

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on your purchase. Seems there is an active group of great guys in the PNW I'm sure you will do well with someone on here. Do some research on Air brakes, this will be where this vehicle will differ greatly from others you have probably driven. Understanding air brakes, not just using them is a big difference, but don't be afraid of them, just aware. The other thing is if you have a cargo cover, take it off while you learn to drive it, this will greatly enhance your rear veiw and general visibility. Once you are comfortable, just put it back on ( read the TM on that install, its really easy if you do ). Also, as winter is approaching be VERY AWARE of the PROPER way to use the ether start system-details are important. Probably a million other things but those are the first few that come to mind.

Another Ahab

Hey, I'm relatively new blood myself, but you came to the right place:

- there is a whole lot of schooling in these forums (do not be bashful with the search engine)
- and the pooled wisdom of corporate memory here is not found anywhere else

So Welcome to you from the other coast, here in Virginia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks