• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy from so california

dezert ratt

hey im mike 24 years old and live in menifee ca. ive had this dream of owning a deuce and a half since i was a little kid. being right in the heart of the legal drama of this state is it worth it for me to try and fullfill my dream now that im older and able to afford one.. ive been browsing the site seeking out the threads on the legality of having a deuce in ca, and its kinda scaring me away from trying to get my hands on one. i know there are a few or more people on this forum that live in ca, and own various deuces and 5 tons, i would like to hear from you guys what kinda experiences you have had(good and bad) registering, driving, maintaining(where to get parts) and dealing with the local john Q laws that love to harass you for looking at them cross eyed.. i know i need to start by getting a class A or B non commercial license but dont really want to take that step if it is gonna be not worth even driving one on the streets of cali.. sorry for the long post, i love this site and wish i came across it a long time ago:-D.
i registered on this forum a while back and this is my first post, and what made me post up, the other night i saw what i think was a m35A2 in menifee by the new hospital parked on the shoulder idling(love that sound!!:p) and got my heart thumping in my chest.. haha
i could go on all nite about my love for old mv's but ive written enough to bore most of you, so thanks again for such a good mv site. im looking forward to talking to you guys!

Last edited:

dezert ratt

also sorry to the other desert rat s/n on this site, i wasnt trying to copy. just grew up in the so cal deserts and thought that would be a good name... :oops:

Barneyszoo

Hey, I have a bobed duice because I was told you dont need a class B to drive it. Its been my daily driver since June, got pulled over once and the cop asked me if it was my personal vehicle. Then he said he's wanted one since he got back from Irac in 03, by the time he was done looking at my truck there were four cop cars and seven cops and I standing around in the middle of the street BSing. I am looking for a five ton and will prob get a class B when I get that. Oh my truck is reg as an historic vehicle and the cop said his dispatch didn't even know how to run the plate, So when you get one maybe we can meat up sometime.

GoHot229

Having lives in Quail Valley in the early days (80's) and then Sage, then Anza I'm framiliar with the area. One thing for sure, it's fast paced out there now, 75-80 on the freeway and near that on city streets. Do you have a place to park such a large unit where you live? off the street? A way of securing it, and will you be content always having cars piled up behind you, ALL PISSED OFF because your not going as fast as THEY want to go, as the posted speed limits are only a suggestion out there, observed only when the Law is around. (SELDOM) Those are things to consider. Other than driving on the street, there are fiew places close to you there to take advantage of the off-road possabilities. Anza Borrego, Salton Sea, Here and there out by Palm Springs. Hwy 74 is closed, theres nothing down Temecula way or twards Corona, theres not much in the way of places close to Menefee really, unless you'd be content on the street. Used to be loads of places out there, but no more.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ratt,

I lived in Temecula for about 3 years (2005-2008). I bought my deuce and restored it at my place behind the wineries. I drove it work about 2 times a month, drove it around the neighborhood weekly, in parades etc. with no problems regarding cops. If you live in a subdivision, there may be issues keeping it at the house.

I registered in historical thru "Speedy vehicle registration" in Lake Elsinore...no issues.

I did obtain my class B commercial license and even drove the deuce in the test. I studied the book, practiced driving etc. and tested in Hemet. Got my license w/o any major issues. I'm not even going to get started around the subject of needing a Class B or not in Cali, and if I were you, I wouldn't start that either:roll:.

Regarding parts, there are plenty of sources in the area.
Antelope valley truck parts
Barstow truck parts
"the Brothers" in Fontana
The Inland Empire MVCC are a great bunch of folks and a wealth of knowledge.
The SDMVCC are also a good club.

I miss Temecula but at least I'm headed back to Cali. I'm moving from Tacoma WA to Dixon CA.

I hope this helps.

omega231

...and will you be content always having cars piled up behind you, ALL PISSED OFF because your not going as fast as THEY want to go, as the posted speed limits are only a suggestion out there, observed only when the Law is around.
and wht are they going to do about it? the only thing most of them can do i honk their horn at you. something tells me its not the best idea for them to PO somebody in a vehicle that could easily run them over.

hole

Welcome Dezert Ratt ! I think Big Mike summed it up pretty well for you. In my opinion, the most important thing is where will you keep it ? I bought my current house for my Deuce ( and my M105, 1945 Ford tractor,83 CJ 8 etc....) because storage fee's can add up quick. Parts are not an issue, many local resources as well as nation wide places who ship parts to your door. If your looking to go the GL route , use a title service as Mike suggested. If private party and already has historical plates, local dmv is fine. As far as the license class goes, do a search of past threads on that subject and you'll get a better idea about that subject. Your more than welcome to join us for our fall desert campout Oct. 16-18th at Stoddard Wells, I'm sure it would'nt be too difficult to con someone into taking you out in a Deuce and show you what they can do :wink:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Bigmike summed it up. I have had mine for a few years, never an issue with LEO or registration. If you go thru GL, DO NOT go th DMV, find a registration service. Parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on. Storage of it and what you accumulate as you go can be an issue.

JAYHAWK 1962

Hello and welcome!! A lot of good stuff comes up for auction at barstow and camp french. If one of these auction sites is close to you it would be easy to inspect and recover a purchase.

dezert ratt

thanks for all the input guys! luckily living in menifee its not to overcrowded yet, and i live on 2 acres where we have all kinds of motorhomes and crap just sittin around, so storage is not an issue. most likely im going to be moving to anza in a year or 2. gotta get out of the city! i dont care about going 55 or slower:grin: haha people just have to deal with it. im not shure what id want to do with reg. i want to use the truck to tow my ford ranger and dirt bikes etc to the desert, so i dont think i want a hist. veh. reg??? also im most likely looking to buy from a private party. i dont want anything to do with auctions...
so if anyone in the area has a truck for sale, i would be willing to check it out:grin:. thanks again for the input!!

hole

If you want to haul things other than camping gear you will need regular plates and will be subject to weight fees. Probably close to a grand a year with the new higher fees vs less than a hundred with historical. You will certainly need a cdl useing a Deuce to haul as well. 100dollarman ( Mark ) has quite a few to choose from and he "Bobs" them as well. His shop is out in Lucerne Valley and he will be at the campout in October

dezert ratt

what are the chances of getting pulled over if towing with hist. plates? ill have to ask my mom about the whole weight fee thing, she deals with all our work trucks, which are all ca 20 or ca 26 registered weight..
ive heard about the 100dollar man. im looking for a driver in decent shape. i can fix anything but am very lazy sometimes haha
i think bobbed deuces look cool but personally i could never do that to one. its like cutting one of your feet off, but thats just my opinion

hole

Towing anything but an M105 or other MV trailer with historical plates will greatly increase your chance of getting pulled over, especially by CHP. I'm not a fan of bobbed trucks myself but you wont need a cdl and can haul/ tow just about anything you want legally with a bobbed truck . Food for thought.

omega231

i guess CDL requirements very from state to state. in Bama my buddies and i drive the M818 around without a CDL and it ways more than a deuce. on the other hand when the M820s arrive i may need to grab my class A. 25,800 is the curb weight and has over 41,000 for its GVWR.

Btw, welcome to the site! sorry i missied the welcome earlier :razz:

hole

Mike, just make sure you preview the truck first. GL Barstow does get it's fair share of good trucks, but they can get a dog too.

dezert ratt

GL is looking a bit complicated for me,, haha i cant even figure it out.. im gonna plan a trip to lucerne to see 100dollarman :-D its worth it for me to spend a little more $ and get a truck i know is in pretty decent shape...

100dollarman

Welcome to the site, dez Ratt!

You dont even have to wait for the camp-out to drive one-- I have about 20 good ones in stock! You are welcome to come out and drive them ALL if you want! LOL! I will make you a great deal on one. But even if you dont buy from me, you are more than welcome to come check them out and learn about them a bit. We have several other MV trucks and trailers also.

Call me if you want to come out- 760 248 6214

BTW- this goes for any other SS member in Socal, too---- all are welcome at my shop!

Looking forward to seeing you and everybody at the campout!!!

WW- Are we calling it Camp Dirtbag?

Hundy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks