• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from southern illinois

Buffalo75

I just discovered this site through pirate4x4 and I had to join. I have always wanted to own a deuce and a half or a five ton, but I didn't know that there were so many people out there that actually have them. How do I go about getting one? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!:-D

Buffalo75

Ive glanced around there, but are all the descriptions accurate? and if they don't run how hard is it to get it going again? ... i doubt i can just stop by Napa and pick up replacement parts haha

kiotiugly

I'm not sure where you are in So. Il. (I guess I could look up Carlyle on mapquest) - but if you ever get down to Western KY you could see/ride my truck.

I picked mine up from a private seller who bought it from GL at Redstone. I'm sure he made some money off of me, but I had the opportunity to test drive it and take it or leave it, so that was worth the money. Additionally, he went the the trouble of the recovery, paperwork and getting a title in his name so that he could transfer it to me.

I would recommend finding one you could ride in or drive just so you get an idea of what your getting into. Mine has some assorted minor problems (dragging brake shoes/leaky axle seals and gaskets/air governor) but nothing major.

Good luck and take care.

GoHot229

GL is an iffy thing, not bad, but iffy. could be that it just needs fuel and primed or it could have catastrphic damage, thats why you need to look at the vehicle before bidding if possable. Most people here will probably tell you that their "non-runner" was some slight non-event thing, while others will say the motor sounds like a combine, ready to blow. It's a crap-shoot, but usually in your favor, it could be as simple as needing a battery or two even. the non-runner title is all encompasing and used for whatever wont hit the button and fire instantly, or if their lazy all the stuff. It's probably a better thing buying a Deuce that is a proven runner from a Steel Soldiers member, as you have some sort of security most times STAY TUNED TO STEEL SOLDIERS FORUM and by and by you'll pick up what to look for and how its done by the pro's AND WELCOME

Last edited:

54reo

Welcome to the site! You will find it to be the most valuable resource for maintaining these trucks. Get to know the TM's (which are free for downloading here under the "Resources" tab at the top of the page), they should answer about any question you may have.

I am not too far from you. If you ever wanted to drive a 2.5 or 5 ton, let me know. I even have a few for sale every once in a while.

Midnight Rider

Another Illinoisan!

Welcome!

I went the Ebay route as well. I just got a 1009 though. When I get some more money I'll be in the same predicament that you are.

chgofiveo

Im in Northern IL...Not to sure how far away you are...but happy to show (off) you my truck
LOL

Also a member named marchplumber lives in S.IL , maybe look him up... He is a very nice guy.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!! Glad to have another from Illinois here! I'm in the central part of the state, Peoria area. You are more than welcome to come up and take the Raven Deuce for a trundle. Great site, BETTER people!! TONS of information. I agree with the "reading" thing. Good luck, I agree with Chevytruck (LOVE that avatar! LOL) I have the truck, need the tow bar(anyone?) Have a great one! Welcome!!
God bless,
Tony:-D

6x6guy

Welcome to the club, lots of info in here- knowledge and hands on experience - if in quarry
just log on and ask a question- somebody always has the right answer or I should say a selection on possible answers :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks