• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy From the Redneck Riveria

Ardiemus

Hey Fellas,

I am new to SS and to Military Vehicles in general, I prefer to fly than to drive but I am looking into getting a M923A2 so I thought I would do some research and reading. Any Advice? I'm currently looking through the board to see the answers to my questions without asking people the same question that has been asked a 1000 times before. (1990, reconditioned/overhauled by DoD in 2008, no rust, flat bed. 3111 miles since overhaul I drove it yesterday and it is very clean and no rust.

-Jonathan in Pensacola, Fl

M925

I'd look for stuff like: What was the color of the transmission fluid, oil, and coolant? Do all the gauges and blower work? The amount left on tires such as are they cracked or showing signs of age? Smoke if any, color of smoke, and smell of smoke. Check out the batteries to see if they are leaking of bubbling lead out of them.

I'd check the seals on the wheels and shafts as well.

With these big trucks some leaks are normal....well there are different types of leak, there's a difference between a seep and a drip....falling to the ground being the worst.

I like the rebuilt trucks. You also need to understand the legalities of owning one such as insurance, registration, and other laws.

I registered my first truck as an everyday driver...my eyes exploded when they told me $500/year for registration. Therefore where I am, I put antique plates on it, so I don't have to pay personal property tax or have it inspected (though it still has to be safe), $50 permanent plates.....but that depends on where you live.

I'd make sure the air conditioner works as well. Does your model have one cup holder or two? Make sure you get an extra set of keys.

Good luck...these are a lot of fun...I'm about to go drive mine.

Last edited:

Ardiemus

When I looked at it yesterday it looked as if it had been garage kept since depot. It was the cleanest truck I have seen (cleaner than the one my wife drives) but I didn't look at the fluid colors. The guy selling had 4 total trucks, one he was keeping, the rest selling. Wheels and overall condition of the truck was very good. Everything worked, batteries were in excellent condition, they looked brand new. It doesn't have an air conditioner so that wasn't checked, soft top in excellent condition. I think it's titled as an RV, so the ins ins't much and the registration isn't too bad here in FL.

Another Ahab

The day will come, and then ever after you can say that you truly lived. Long live the Mullet Festival!

And we now return you to our regularly scheduled program...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks