• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Vancouver Canada

Warryer

Hi there - I am currently getting a Canadian made M37 (1954) running again. The brief drive I did, was very slow and noisy. I know these things aren't barn burners, but I mean I was starting it in 4th and maxing at 15 MPH. I think one of the tranfer cases is int he wrong settling, but I don't know the operation.

Can someone let me know how to tell if the vehicle is in 2wd high?

thanks
Vince

dmetalmiki

Check your applicable TM. and (or) just experiment with gear positions (as) you will not cause damage trying the variouse combinations. just do not over rev things. And whichever combination do not drive too much on pavement and never on turns on pavements. Welcome to the hobby and enjoy the truck and the people you will get to know with it.

61sleepercab

You should have two transfer case sticks..... one is front axle in and out of gear........one is high and low range. Starting in fourth and topping out at 15 you are in low range. Top speed is 40-50 at best. These are sturdy trucks but are not speed wagons. The brakes are skinny so give plenty of room to stop. Have fun and enjoy the slow ride. Mark

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the green board of knowledge. That's great having another wet coaster we can visit when you're not stuck in traffic. Stan's in West Van and some fabulous contacts out there .....he'll chime in after shift.....and these kids http://www.westerncommand.com/ are good troops to get to know. I rode in an M37 if that's any help. I knew we were in 2H when we were doing 50mph and got hit by a bug.

Let us know what it's doing and then we'll show you how to post pictures of it.

Another Ahab

Welcome from way over here in Virginia.

Grew up playing hockey this way as a kid (the outdoor ice), so mostly liking anybody from Canada just because.

Last edited:

Warryer

Why can't I seem to start a post? Am I missing something? Something BAD happened to my M37 yesterday...maybe someone can copy and paste this to help me. I will do my best to describe what happened.

M37 sitting on slightly sloped driveway. I've been running it regularily while I check over it. I have noticed that the gear leaver was acting up a bit about 3 days ago (difficulty finding gears or getting it all the way in).

Yesterday, I went to back the truck up....pulled out of the driveway no problem....headed backwards down my street a ways. Full stop. Pointed slightly uphill, I put it in first, and let out the clutch. BANG!. A mechanical breaking noise under the seats. At first I thought it was the clutch....but depressing the clutch allows me to select gears (as opposed to grinding). But when I let off the clutch....the is a Thud Thud Thud noise ever .5 seconds. The vehicle does not move at all. Could it be a tranmission problem? Do I need to pull the engine to get at the tranny and clutch? There goes Rememberance Day. :(

I should add that I inspected all drive shafts...they are all intact as well

Another Ahab

Why can't I seem to start a post? Am I missing something? Something BAD happened to my M37 yesterday...maybe someone can copy and paste this to help me. I will do my best to describe what happened.

M37 sitting on slightly sloped driveway. I've been running it regularily while I check over it. I have noticed that the gear leaver was acting up a bit about 3 days ago (difficulty finding gears or getting it all the way in).

Yesterday, I went to back the truck up....pulled out of the driveway no problem....headed backwards down my street a ways. Full stop. Pointed slightly uphill, I put it in first, and let out the clutch. BANG!. A mechanical breaking noise under the seats. At first I thought it was the clutch....but depressing the clutch allows me to select gears (as opposed to grinding). But when I let off the clutch....the is a Thud Thud Thud noise ever .5 seconds. The vehicle does not move at all. Could it be a tranmission problem? Do I need to pull the engine to get at the tranny and clutch? There goes Rememberance Day. :(

I should add that I inspected all drive shafts...they are all intact as well

Bummer.jpg

Warryer

Turns out its the rear differential. Can you drive the M37 in High 4, front hubs locked, with the rear driveshaft off temporarily? Basically front wheel drive?

Stan Leschert

We have been chatting via PM. Next week we will get together for a pint at the Legion. I will put him in touch with Monty, who is our M37 guy. We also have a couple of power wagon guru's and will see what can happen.

Hopefully, this rig will be ready for the Remebrance Day Parade. If it is ready ... I'm in charge of both the Veteran's Troop, and the historical vehicles!

That is the update for now. Stan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks