• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from WV

jwb79

want to say hello,

my name is joe my background is 13 year us army in the guard now. been a 63 my whole career for the most part other then a few years behind a desk as a parts clerk. three tours in iraq as front line wheeled and track mechanic. i work for the state as a mechanic and with their mind set oh an army mechanic then you know know how to fix every thing from the military and as you all know that is not the truth.

so i got placed as the guy who works on all of it for the district here. at first i was mad but i fell in love with some of these trucks mostly m917's and 6x4 20 ton dumps. only thing that i dont like is if there is a major problem they send to the bone yard and scrap them i have seen at least 5 that could have been saved go to the sale or stripped and sold as scrap. plus side is i get to work on them play with them and not have to pay the fuel and repair costs lol. downside is the give drivers a half hour class and drop them in to trucks like the 917 and wonder why the tranny is toast in a few months.

so i joined here with the hopes of experts who know a lot more then me can help me keep some of these from the scrap yard. these trucks put the new ones in shame for hauling and durability. i hope to get to know some of you well and maybe help where i can

narc20

Welcome from just up the river in Wheeling. We run some former military stuff here for off road and disaster response (floods mostly). The city likes to use 1008's for snow plows and work trucks. We dont have any big dumps or graders like you though.

The PIG Smith

Welcome from a Mountaineer that now lives elsewhere.
Same here!

Born and raised in West Virginia (Putnam County) and graduated from Winfield High School..attended West Virgina Tech until I ran outta money
I spent a lot of childhood in Pocahontas County.
My wife was born and raised in Saint Albans, WV.

Sadly, due the economic vacuum of WV and Appalachia as a whole, I moved to the midwest in the mid '90's.
While I have enjoyed some ups and downs here in Indiana, I get homesick for time to time.

Last edited:

1stSarge

Same here!

Born and raised in West Virginia (Putnam County) and graduated from Winfield High School..attended West Virgina Tech until I ran outta money
I spent a lot of childhood in Pocahontas County.
My wife was born and raised in Saint Albans, WV.

Sadly, due the economic vacuum of WV and Appalachia as a whole, I moved to the midwest in the mid '90's.
While I have enjoyed some ups and downs here in Indiana, I get homesick for time to time.
Double ditto, :ditto::ditto:born in Putnam county, spent my life as a kid in Winfield. Right off of 35 next to the river. Moved to central Ohio for the exact same reason. Still have lots of folks down there. Welcome!