• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy govt liquidation buyer questions

jeffj

OK I live in Ga and Govt Liq has several m35a2's in auction..I want to get one that starts and runs and drive it the 75 miles home...

1) Will they let you
2) What type of tags/ins will it require
3)What do I need to check before I attempt the drive?
4) none of them have bows/sides/covers...what kind of $$$ it that gonna run?

Thanks for any input...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A search will yield you tons of info about what to expect when buying a truck from GL.

But here's a quick reply

1) Yes
2) Yes, you'll need tags and insurance, depends on your sitituaion on what type of tags and insurance you choose. (standard tags/26001+ GVWR tags - Collector insurance/Commerical Insurance/regular insurance)
3) You should read the TM's and familiarize yourself BEFORE operating these vehicles.
4) Couple of hundred bucks at least.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are only going to buy one truck you should consider a private purchase.

SS member Clinto is near you and sells very good deuces that he has given much love to.

He will allow you to preview the truck and give you good advice on the care and feeding of these beasts.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome , spend some time searching this forum section ; General GL Questions

This is a good thread on what to expect from GL ; So you want to buy a cheap truck from GL?

Download this TM and read it ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
And this will help learn to inspect it ;GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

Your best bet is to personally inspect any truck before buying , seeing as your in GA. you shouldn't much trouble to get another member to go with you or you may be able to work a deal with one to inspect it for you . And be sure to follow the rules on not posting auction info , do that through PM's.

sandcobra164

When I get a Deuce out of Robins, I plan on having Batteries, Fuel filters, motor oil and I preview before I bid. They will let you drive them out of there provided all is good with the truck, you have insurance and temp tag papers. Preview, alot of people assume that since it's an Air Force Base, they are all Air Force pampered trucks. It's actually a turn in point for all services and you'll likely get a National Guard truck from wherever. Don't be turned off by the lack of bows and a cover, sometimes they are in the bed folded up. Again, Preview before you bid.

Seth_O

Preview, preview, preview.

I did not, but got outrageously lucky. When I think about what I did (buy it sight-unseen from 650 miles away and drive out there with no way to get it home except driving it) I shudder inside, and remind myself to say 'thank you' in my prayers at night.

Never again would I purchase a truck from GL without a preview unless I was expecting it to be a parts truck and I was buying it for scrap prices.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Government liquidation is good with the runs an drives descriptions but you have to ask yourself will it stop when I want it to?

Yep, I bought a GL truck that "runs and drives", went to pick it up and they asked me where my trailer was parked. When I told them the ad said that it runs and drives they said "yep, but it doesn't stop." :)

Leaking wheel cylinders, bad Air pack, T-case had remains of chewed up bearing, but beyond that a good truck. Oh and mine is a late model pampered airforce truck. Forgot, also had a bad bearing and seal on one side where they halfassed maintenance. Replaced it when I was going through the front axle. Oh also a new set of batteries because someone left the lights on at GL before I got to it.

I like my Deuce, but just pointing out it looked ready to go in the GL ad, but required a full go through and several replacement/rebuild items.

Last edited:
A search will yield you tons of info about what to expect when buying a truck from GL.

But here's a quick reply

1) Yes
2) Yes, you'll need tags and insurance, depends on your sitituaion on what type of tags and insurance you choose. (standard tags/26001+ GVWR tags - Collector insurance/Commerical Insurance/regular insurance)
3) You should read the TM's and familiarize yourself BEFORE operating these vehicles.
4) Couple of hundred bucks at least.
OK, Silly question: Why would he need 26,001+ GVWR tag when an M35A2 weighs 10,030lbs without a winch and 10,530lbs with the winch?
Anything with a GVWR of 26,001lbs would also require a CDL unless of course you live or drive in California where 3 axles might get you messed with by CHP commercial enforcement and written for driving out of class no matter what it weighs. (Yeah California kinda sucks like that) :-|

Scrounge41

I got super lucky buying a deuce out of WR w/o a preview, but I live 300 miles away. At 75 miles away you should definitely preview and/or get a SS member to preview it for you. PM Mdmorgan or SETOYOTA to see if they can help you out. Buying one from a member has a lot of advantages that are probably going to be worth the price difference. I understand that the EUC's are happening quicker now, but between the auction end and me being able to pick up my titled, licensed, insured deuce was about 6 mos.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, Silly question: Why would he need 26,001+ GVWR tag when an M35A2 weighs 10,030lbs without a winch and 10,530lbs with the winch?
Anything with a GVWR of 26,001lbs would also require a CDL unless of course you live or drive in California where 3 axles might get you messed with by CHP commercial enforcement and written for driving out of class no matter what it weighs. (Yeah California kinda sucks like that) :-|
1. A deuce actually weighs app. 13K lbs w/ow and 13.5K w/w.

2. A Deuce might only weight 13K lbs, but it's rated for approximately 23K lbs. Since it weighs 13K and is rated for 10K on road, it is...................... a 23K lb rated (GVWR) truck.

Hence the 26K lb tag.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are that close it would be less than wise not to go and 'put your hands on it'. I put the odds in my favor from afar, ~2k miles, by having a local outfit retrieve and go over it with a long drive in mind. Still lost belts and saw wheel cylinder leaks and warming hubs enroute. Got it home safely, at a below shipping cost, but it cost me more than the $1300 I paid for the truck to have sufficient confidence to drive it home.

Caveat emptor.

Flyingvan911

I was lucky when I got my truck from GL. My truck was ready to drive. We looked it over after the auction to see if we needed parts, fluids, or a tow bar. Everything was in tip top shape. (Thanks to the 730th ASMC, SDNG.) This is more of an exception than the rule. Most trucks need some work to get them ready to roll. Missouri has a 24k plate so that fit just right.

I agree with posters above, a private sale from a member who does a great job is the best way to go. The little bit extra you spend outright will probably save you money spent on parts later.

You're right clinto, My bad! I was pretty tired when I cranked out that last reply.
13,030 wo/w and 13,530 w/w was what I meant to say. But I understand what you're getting at. Aside from the fact that I've wanted a bobber since I saw Ian Johnson build the one he did on Extreme 4X4, (General Granite), shaving a couple feet off the length and losing 1 rear axle not only loses a couple thousand pounds, (increasing fuel milage) it also eliminates any chance of getting hassled by overzealous state/ commercial LEOs for driving out of class. Then there's also the reduction in turn radius and easier steering that just sweetens the deal. Oops, I didn't mean to turn this into the "benefits of bobbing a deuce" conversation. Sorry, it all just starts to snowball when I start talking about the subject. :oops:
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program,.....er... thread.
:driver:

flyusn99

I would echo the sentiments of a great many on getting it from a fellow member or a reputable source. The GL trucks are great if you:
1 Preview them
2 And they go cheap (sometimes they don't)
3 Aren't in a hurry to actually get take them home
4 Are content with hidden costs
5 Don't mind being surprised after you take delivery

If you are still motivated to get one of GL (which is cool, after all it is your experience) my STRONGEST suggestion to you is find a member who's nearby and see if they'll go preview with you. Buy 'em dinner to sweeten the deal but having someone with experience on these trucks can keep you clear of a money pit and also helps you network into the hobby and begin to build a support network nearby...
I got my first off GL and heck, I'd do it again (In fact, I have about 12 times) I kind of think of getting the GL trucks like a first date, you never know if she's gonna smack you one or drive all the way home...
Good luck though, and welcome!

James

ClintA

I say buying from GL is good for some people. I have bought 2 times without prevew just because of where I live and have little choice. I hauled mine home and I thank my lucky stars that I did. They both tured out to be good MV's so I can't say anything bad about GL just the people that work there (or the ones I have been around have no common sence). Each to there own, It is still a free country so far, so do what you fill is right and what your common sence tells you to do. Good luck, once you get one you will want another.

M923driver

Ask your local DMV what they want...you're going to have to deal with them sooner or later. Preview the truck or have somebody do it for you, It has to stop! as well as drive. Don't sweat it too much, you're not the first guy to buy this kind of truck and license it, you just might have to edjucate the DMV person. Use lots of honey and no vinegar.....It's worth it in the end.

rwbrown72

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with Wreckerman! :wreckerman893:

Buy one from Clinto! If you value your time at all, this will save you money. I've bought from both private sellers and GL. I buy from GL a lot now and understand the costs, time and chance I'm taking to save the 40% or so from a private seller. If you are not buying and selling a lot, buy one that is ready to go and then enjoy it. Just my 2cents.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually given the prices of deuces from this weeks closing (and the limited number of them coming out now) you'd be cheaper buying from a private party right now. The ones at Warner Robbins closed for $4100 and UP before fees. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks