• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here looking at buying M1008

vacfarm240

I just joined the forum and I'm considering buying a truck. The M1008 caught my interest because of the 4.56 gears. My long term goal would be a lift and 37-40" tires. I'd like to use the truck for some mild off-roading and cruising the parade route. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to buy a truck for a fair price and what to look for mechanically. BTW I live a little south of Chicago. I have looked on ebay and craigslist but it seems whatever I find is either far away or over priced. Thanks, Justin.

jw4x4

Welcome aboard, Justin. My advice is to be patient. Dig deep into the CUCV forum on this site. There is an astounding amount of knowledge, experience, and advice. Several members whom are deciding to sell their vehicle give first dibbs to members here, before listing on ebay or CL. The Steel Soldiers classifieds are a great place to look. As far as fair price, that is gonna be in the eyes of the buyer. It's not always what a particular vehicle is worth, but moreso whatever the market will bear. Alot of times a vehicle is offered at a high price, just to see if a big-bux buyer is out there to snatch it up. The longer it sits, the lower the price gets. Also depends on how motivated the seller is. Be patient, take your time. Spend LOTS of time scouring the forums, absorbing everything you can. I am confident a vehicle suitable to you will pop up. WARNING- once you get one, they have a tendency to multiply. There is no known cure for the OD Iron Disease.

MarcusOReallyus

There's always the option of buying from the GUMmit, through http://www.govliquidation.com. A LOT of us here have bought our stuff through them. I've bought 2 trucks, a trailer, and a few other odds and ends from them. They have a long-standing relationship with the fed.gov, and that's probably the quickest way to find one. Depending on where it's located, you may have the option of inspecting the vehicle before the auction opens.

Be aware that these vehicles are under some federal government restrictions because they are considered "combat" vehicles. If you buy from govliquidation, or any other legitimate government auction site, you'll have to undergo a background check before you can pick it up. You will get a letter from the State Department advising you of your legal responsibilities, which include NOT shipping it overseas, or selling it to a bad guy, and keeping track of every part you dispose of. Seriously. I'm replacing the doors on mine, and I have to decide how I'm going to get rid of the old doors, and document what I do with them. They do sometimes come around and check up.

You will have all of these legal responsibilities even if you buy from a private party. All except the background check, of course. The only difference is, a private party may not tell you about it, which will put that person in a world of hurt if the feds come asking.

Also be aware that "drove onto lot" does NOT mean "ready to drive home 200 miles". Case in point, I bought my M1008 and saw the video of it running. Got there to pick it up and it would not shift out of first until pretty high RPMs. Lost the alternator belt while putting around on Ft. Meade where I picked it up. Came back the next day with a trailer.

Oh, and what I bought as a 1008 turned out to be a 1028, which was pretty nice! :D

So, buying from govliquidation can be fun, and expensive (or really cheap), and you need to pay attention and do your homework.

With all that said, welcome! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Look in the Milwaukee and Madison craigslists. I saw a couple M1008's on there. I also remember there being a place that sold military vehicles north of Chicago, but I can't remember the name.

combatmech

You may also want to check auto trader.com. You might find one "close" by you. Take the time to read everything you can about the vehicle you are looking for. Good luck with your search and welcome to the OD Green addiction support network.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, I guess it depends on how you word it. I suppose you could say that a third party buyer isn't subject to the agreement, technically, but he IS subject to the laws that govern the disposition of the property that is covered by the agreement.

The original buyer is legally obligated to explain the restrictions to the next buyer, which includes the legal obligation to explain them to the next buyer, who is then legally obligated to explain the restrictions to the next buyer, ad infinitum.

Now, if a seller fails to do that, and so the subsequent buyer doesn't know about it, the buyer has something of a legal defense, but he's going to have to make that defense in court, if the feds decide to push it. Of course, ignorance of the law isn't a very good defense in most cases.

The seller will be in hot water and have NO defense.

The exact wording from the EUC form (DLA FORM 1822):

SECTION Ill. UNDERSTANDING AND NOTIFICATIONS
1 . The use, disposition, export and re-export of this property is subject to all applicable U.S. Laws and Regulations, including but not limited to the Arms Export Control Act (22 USC 2751 et seq.); Export Administration Act of 1979 (50 USC App.2401 et seq.) as continued under Executive Order 12924; International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR 120 et seq.);
Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR 730 et seq.); Foreign Assets Control Regulations (31 CFR 500 et seq.) and the Espionage Act (18 USC 793 et seq.); which, among other things, prohibit:

A. The making of false statements and concealment of any material information regarding the use or disposition, export or re-export of the property and

B. Any use, disposition, export or re-export of the property not permitted by applicable statute and regulation.

3. Transfers of MLI and CCLI property by purchasers/bidders are subject to the requirements of the appropriate licensing department or agency. In many cases, an export license or other authorization may be required. With respect to MLI, registration of the purchaser's/bidder's business with the Department of the State may also be required. It is the responsibility of the purchaser/bidder to determine what the applicable requirements may be and to obtain all necessary authorization or approvals.

4. When MLI/CCLI property is transferred, the information in this form regarding the above laws and regulations must be passed to the subsequent purchaser/receiver. Records of Resale in buyer's possession should be available for Trade Security Controls Office review, if requested.

SECTION IV. CERTIFICATION STATEMENT TO BE SIGNED BY BIDDER AT TIME OF RESPONSE TO IFB

2. I acknowledge having been advised that the MLI/CCLI property I purchased is controlled by the U.S. Government and in many cases cannot be transferred (exported, sold or given) to a foreign country, a non-U.S. Citizen/National or a non-Permanent US Resident without a valid State/Commerce Department export authorization. Should I transfer this property to a foreign country, a non-U.S. Citizen/National or a non-Permanent US Resident, I will obtain any required authorization before making such transfers. I will not transfer this property to countries, regimes and nationals targeted under the sanctions program administered by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control.

The material purchased is subject to all of the various restrictions, and that is true no matter who buys it or what he knows about it.

You can read the whole thing at this link, if you like. This is the actual form from the government site, not just the GL site.

There's a good discussion on it at this thread. Lots of surprising (to me) stories of having been randomly contacted by the government, checking up on the property. Sometimes in person.

The important thing to understand is this: There are laws and regulations that restrict what can be done with some government-auctioned equipment, and those laws and regulations are in force whether the owner signed any agreement or not.

It's not simply a matter of being party to a contract (agreement) or not.

Frankly, if I had understood all this, I might not have bought my truck. My trailer was sold without an EUC requirement, but since then, they are selling the same trailer WITH the EUC requirement. I'm frankly not sure where that leaves me, legally, on my trailer.

Last edited:

vacfarm240

I wasn't familiar with the EUC, but it looks like any other gov. document-lots of words, confusing and intimidating. But, like you said I'm not looking to anything illegal with it so no worries. Several years ago my brother bought some furniture through GL and I think he had some similar paper work for that as well.

MarcusOReallyus

Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you! :mrgreen:

It's not a big deal if you just do the 2 simple things you are required to do.

1. If you sell it, or even a part, keep a paper trail.
  2. Tell the new buyer what the deal is.

Then it's HIS problem what he does about it. That's it. :beer:

trukhead

I bought 4 M1008's without EUC's from GL. Just look into the history of the CUCV before you sign on the dotted line.:driver:

You could apply for the EUC like the original purchaser did or require the next purchaser from you to go through the process as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks