• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here, thinking of buying a CUCV

Glockamolie

Good evening! I've been thinking of buying a CUCV, and now there are a few on GL that are close enough for me to consider. I think I want an M1008, but I'm open to an M1009. All of these have had fluids drained, batteries removed, but most look otherwise complete. Are these usually in need of major items, like a complete engine or trans rebuild? I know I'm rolling the dice either way, but wanted to know the norm. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but am new to the diesel world. I've read the FAQs, and really like the idea of having one for the heck of it. Either way, it looks like an informative site, and I'll keep reading!

Last edited:

stationjj

I am still a newbie myself. I am still learning everyday. I bought a M1009 from a private individual in April.

From the research I did before I bought. With GL you get what you get. It or may not be in the condition that they state. Also the drive shaft may be gone? Depends if the Gov handled it with a forklift?

Pulling from some bases are better than others. I mean this in the condition and support of Local GL. I heard GL support at Redstone in Huntsville, AL is great.

My CUCV came from the Mississippi Army National Guard. I suspect it had an easy life?

Your new best friends will Steel Soldiers, LMC Truck, and CUCV electric.

Do your research on Steel Soldiers. I have spent many hours searching old threads.

Print out the troubleshooting sections of the the -20 TMs. I was much easier on me than trying to read a PDF on a computer.

stationjj

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My CUCV came from the Mississippi Army National Guard. I suspect it had an easy life?
My old unit had a Brigade at Shelby that ran the Mobilization Center down there.....I suspect it was run hard and put up wet unless it was some Sgt. Major's assigned vehicle.

Our Observer/Controllers drew vehicles from the Mississippi National Guard and were not kind to them.

stationjj

wreckerman893,

Thanks for your input. Looks I may be wrong on CUCV. My M1009 came from the 106th Brigade Support Battalion.

Thanks for the correction.

stationjj

scoutmanadam

The biggest thing is to make sure you take your time to find a good one that you are happy with. Way to many people get excited to get into the hobby and jump into the first junker they get there hands on and end up regretting it. And welcome to the site.

I agree 100%

The biggest thing is to make sure you take your time to find a good one that you are happy with. Way to many people get excited to get into the hobby and jump into the first junker they get there hands on and end up regretting it. And welcome to the site.

Find one thats a little nicer.Im with Scout i fell prey to the first one i found and it should have been used for just the axles.:whistle:But im so far into it.I cant turn back now.If i would have found my army m1008 before my airforce m1008 i would have offered alot less for my airforce m1008 thats for sure.Im blessed to say i bought both my m1008s with NC titles so i didnt have to much of an issue.

With that being said,Dont buy one just cause its the cheapest do some research and maybe pay that extra $500+ for the nicer M1008. Good luck and your defintely in great hands here. Feel free to ask questions.TM's are your friend make sure you download them and read till your eyes bleed and if you still cant find an answer we are all here to help. Good luck also remeber though these trucks are low mileage they are still 25+years old.Be ready to do some wrenching because unless you buy one from somone who has refurbished the said vehicle.Most of these Cucvs werent treated like kings. I can defintely tell ya that from experience (ask me how i know this).;-)

They will keep you busy. These are the boys,Army m1008(Jolly Green Giant) on the left and on the right my airforce m1008 dubbed Clifford by my 2 nieces :] Oh and Welcome to the site from Jacksonville NC

Attachments

Last edited:

kweb434

Yes, take your time and find the right one for you. I to was blessed to buy mine with a North Carolina title. The TM's read them and read the old forms in the CUCV form.
Welcome to SS from North Carolina!!![thumbzup]

brokedown

Inspect the articular truck you are interested in before bidding. My experience is pretty limited still but I can say that these trucks have interchangable parts, and they aren't shy about interchanging them. Of course, interchanging requires a donor truck and a recipient truck, you don't want the donor truck.

Skinny

Good luck with your CUCV search, once you get it running decent you will enjoy every minute of it.

Whatever your budget is, plan on spending 50% more. Find something that is in pretty good shape compaired to a fixer upper. It is money well spent. Dashpads and seat covers are easy and cheap to repair compaired to a new engine or body.

I spent more than I wanted to on my M1031 between sale price and shipping but I do not regret it as I am not tied up replacing rocker panels and rusty gas tanks.

Glockamolie

Thanks for the responses. I won't have the luxury of seeing in person before buying, so I'll have to roll the dice a little. I don't mind, as I've been buying auction vehicles for many years, and know that I might get a winner or a loser. I really just want one for the heck of it, so I don't mind if it takes a while to get it on the road. I don't mind getting a trans rebuilt, or any other task except pulling and replacing the engine if I can help it. If I have to pull it, it just might not be a 6.2 diesel that goes back into it (I hope that doesn't offend anyone!). I'll continue to read and learn, and hopefully pick one up in the next few weeks. There are a few in N Texas, and some in MS with the auction ending soon, and it'll cost me about the same to get one shipped from either location.

Skinny

Thanks for the responses. I won't have the luxury of seeing in person before buying, so I'll have to roll the dice a little. I don't mind, as I've been buying auction vehicles for many years, and know that I might get a winner or a loser. I really just want one for the heck of it, so I don't mind if it takes a while to get it on the road. I don't mind getting a trans rebuilt, or any other task except pulling and replacing the engine if I can help it. If I have to pull it, it just might not be a 6.2 diesel that goes back into it (I hope that doesn't offend anyone!). I'll continue to read and learn, and hopefully pick one up in the next few weeks. There are a few in N Texas, and some in MS with the auction ending soon, and it'll cost me about the same to get one shipped from either location.
I'm just stating that spending an extra $1500 on one that is in better shape will net you much more than one that is $1500 cheaper. If you buy the cheaper one and spend a bunch of money fixing costly items, you still have a clapped out truck with some new parts. Unless you are into doing the restoration thing.

Another note is when you buy a CUCV and it doesn't start. If you have a winch on the trailer or a means to get it on the trailer, don't try and start it. More than likely it needs TLC to the batteries and glow plugs. Every CUCV I looked at the owner shows me how to start it with either which is a bad idea. In reality all most of these trucks need are a new set of glow plugs, maybe a solenoid or controller. Won't cost more than $100-200. Just don't ruin the truck by trying to get it started in a hurry.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Loony Bin.

You will find that the CUCV series trucks have been mistreated and abused. They have not held up as well as the Deuces and 5-tons.

While a few of the trucks may be able to be driven offbase, the majority of them should be trailered/towed.

Be it bent driveshafts, missing engine parts, bad electrical connections, air leaks in the fuel system, etc, there WILL BE something wrong with it.

Not that it should discourage you, just be prepared for it.

Plan on spending an additional $500-$1000 fixing minor items. Batteries, lubricants, filtes, belts, tires, etc.

Of the dozen or so CUCVs I have recoved, only one has not been repairable.

Glockamolie

I'm just stating that spending an extra $1500 on one that is in better shape will net you much more than one that is $1500 cheaper. If you buy the cheaper one and spend a bunch of money fixing costly items, you still have a clapped out truck with some new parts. Unless you are into doing the restoration thing.

Another note is when you buy a CUCV and it doesn't start. If you have a winch on the trailer or a means to get it on the trailer, don't try and start it. More than likely it needs TLC to the batteries and glow plugs. Every CUCV I looked at the owner shows me how to start it with either which is a bad idea. In reality all most of these trucks need are a new set of glow plugs, maybe a solenoid or controller. Won't cost more than $100-200. Just don't ruin the truck by trying to get it started in a hurry.
My approach is that I don't care if it's cosmetically a little worse off, and I really don't have any intention of doing much of a cosmetic resto. This is staying on the cheap. I'd rather stay on the cheap side up front, and let it nickel and dime me to death along the way. :D

I will definitely have to have it shipped to me, at a cost of $500-600 depending on which location. Therefore, it'll likely be a cheap one, but hopefully intact. And I would definitely read up and know what to look for prior to even attempting to start it (and I already have to an extent, with the starter relay, glow plugs, etc.) Thanks for the words, and I'll try to get the best I can!

leeh725

If you would like to see some in person, Glockamolie, I'm about 100 miles to the east of you on Interstate 10. You could look at an M1009, M1008, and an M1031 with an SECM. The only one I'd consider dumping is the M1009, at this point.

Glockamolie

Welcome to the Loony Bin.

You will find that the CUCV series trucks have been mistreated and abused. They have not held up as well as the Deuces and 5-tons.

While a few of the trucks may be able to be driven offbase, the majority of them should be trailered/towed.

Be it bent driveshafts, missing engine parts, bad electrical connections, air leaks in the fuel system, etc, there WILL BE something wrong with it.

Not that it should discourage you, just be prepared for it.

Plan on spending an additional $500-$1000 fixing minor items. Batteries, lubricants, filtes, belts, tires, etc.

Of the dozen or so CUCVs I have recoved, only one has not been repairable.
I definitely plan on having to put some money into it prior to it even leaving the driveway. I know these have been kicked around! I'll have to win a bid and have it shipped, so it'll get a thorough going over. I'm mechanically inclined, and automotively inclined, but the diesel is new to me. I understand the workings, but don't have any hands-on experience. Thanks for the welcome, and I hope to report back with a new ride in the near future.

Glockamolie

If you would like to see some in person, Glockamolie, I'm about 100 miles to the east of you on Interstate 10. You could look at an M1009, M1008, and an M1031 with an SECM. The only one I'd consider dumping is the M1009, at this point.
Hey, I actually will be going through there on the way to Louisiana on business around 09/11-09/13 or thereabouts. If possible, maybe I could stop by and see what you have!

MarcusOReallyus

Yep.

No problem for you, since you are shipping it, but make sure your shipper doesn't try to start it.

Mine was shown as "driven onto lot", and they had a video of driving it.

After a jump start, I found it would not shift out of first gear.

Flatbed time!

MarcusOReallyus

Great price.

Now to see what kind of shape it's in! Can't really tell from the photos. At least it's all in one piece.

As for why it went cheaper? Sometimes it just happens like that. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks