• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here with a question on 2 M105 trailers

jon1996

Hello,
My name is Jon I live in KY, I just won a auction for 2 turtle mountain 1993 model M105A2 trailers, they look mint in the pictures,

They are located 4hrs away, My plan is to get a trailer 20ft either a gooseneck lowboy or car hauler which ever one I can find, and pull them home with my tundra, The most I have pulled with it is 7,000lbb camper, The truck is rated for 10,600lbs factory with the tow package which I have, But I have the 5.7 liter engine and trailer brake controller, You think I will have any troubles with height issues? they have now bows or anything,

Last thing is, I hope to find a gooseneck to use instead of a bumper pull due to the ease of the ride, but will the GL load them for me with a forklift or push them onto the trailer?
thanks,
Jon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damage to the air tank and brake control valve is almost a guarantee, if they forklift the M105. If you guide the loader operator, you can lift it without damage, but it probably was already lifted haphazardly and the damage will already be there.

Oldfart

GL loading depends on the skill of the forklift operator. We had a 5 ton dump damaged when the fork lift pushed it from behind and tore up the tail lights. I just had a deuce shop van truck pushed up on a goose neck flatbed and it was a perfect push that did not leave a mark. Glen (formerly of Ft. Carson now of French Camp, CA has a method that puts the lunette ring under the base of the forks with the forks under the "A" frame of the tongue. This avoids all the sensitive under bed brake stuff. I just had two M105's loaded on my goose neck flatbed at Ft. Carson and both were fork lifted from the side. The operator was skillful enough to place the forks outside the brake air tank area and no damage was encountered. We had 3 trailers loaded at a remote location in Wyoming and we were lucky enough to have that done by base personnel (we took our own skid steer with forks, but it was small for the job). Glen was there and made sure things were forked in a manner that avoided damage. ~~ In short, it can go either way, but our experience is that most often, it get handled OK when the new owner is present. Our only damage was on a haul out we hired done because we could not get there within 10 days.

jon1996

thanks guy about the warning me of the forklifts operators, but here is a link to the auction I won, I am thinking about replacing one the axles with a 6,000lb drop and then building a sub frame under the bed with a scissors lift to make me a little dump trailer to haul mulch with and stuff,

2330 - Trailers at Government Liquidation

jon1996

Or would it better to go and stack them and pull them back that way, it would save me a ton of gas without the trailer going down

Oldfart

When we loaded our deuce out of Barstow, I saw a guy who hauled a couple of trailers out using a pintle hitch on his pickup. He had a M1061 flat bed trailer with a M105 set on top. the M1061 was down in front some because of the lower height of the tow vehicle. He had a set of portable tail lights and I have no idea if he hauled with out trailer brakes or not. I have seen two M105's being hauled on an equipment trailer like for a skid steer. One was flipped upside down so the bed rails were matching and then the pair were strapped together with heavy cargo straps. I have no idea how the two were matched up to begin with or how they were unloaded. We hauled an M1061 and two M332's home by stacking one M332 on top of the M1061 and dropping the tongue of the other M332 under the M1061 (all on top of our goose neck trailer.)

Personally I would take a trailer with me that I knew could handle the load I had purchased. I can say that from the comfort of being old and having done all that, plus the fact that I have a goose neck flat bed. There can be unexpected problems with your purchases that might impact their being towed home. Things like a bad wheel bearing, bent rim, locked up brakes or mismatched tires (we just got an M105 that had a 9.00 x 20 on one side and an 11.00 x 20 on the other.)

Attachments

jon1996

I wanted to say thanks to everyone, I think I will just use a trailer to go get them to be safe, just in case they are not what they look when I get there,
Jon