• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Here

ken66

baseballump, you are right about the 73's, we wanted to add something else to ours but were not allowed. Our supply Sgt had made a deal to get some mini guns to put on them but that was denied. We made out with what we had and our company had a great reputation.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes here.:jumpin:

jamesfrom180

Welcome, I really appreciate you putting up those photos.

Some discussion has been put forward as to the reg. on art on vehicles. Do you care to share? Seems those Vs were pretty dolled up. I find its good to study history but always more rewarding to get first hand knowledge. :)

baseballump

Lets see art on vehicles at the 630th on our V's it kind of depended who was the company co and battalion co. We had the Thing, Thor, Zig Zag, Superman and others all painted on the front of the V's in color. With new COs they want everthing either green or black so it didn't stand out and make for a target.
We tried to get away with as much as possible when we could.
Ken to get our 50's we traded c rations to the Air Force. Then we cried on our Plt. Leader shoulder about needing more fire power. He when up the chain of command for us until they said we could.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome and thanks for your service.....I missed the Nam by six months...my first duty station was in 73 at Fort Campbell and the 101st had just got back.

If you can make it to the GA Rally in Oct Papa Bear will have his replica gun truck there along with some other cool stuff you will recognize from that era.

Come on down for some good fun, good food and good folks.

baseballump

Would like to, But we are having our 4th M P reunion in St Louis in Sept.
And, I live 50 miles away so we will be there. I went To Ft.Campbell for basic back in JUL OF 69. Then off to Ft. Gordon for M P training.
The first convoy I went on in Nam I was a gunner on a gun truck, after that I wanted to go on all convoys. So, I transfered out of the Inf. unit I was in to the 630th. M Ps and went to the convoy plt. and the next day and the next 9 months we were on convoys 6 days a week some times 7. We would come in and go back out the next day. Sometimes we worked on our vehicles at night so we could go out the next day.
But, Thank you for asking. And Thanks for your service.

ken66

As for the V-100's of the 66th MP Co, we had the full support of the CO and BN commander. We were featured in The MP newspaper in Nam several times. It cost 2 cases of C Rations for an old Papa San in the village to paint the front. He did a great job. We used the Marvel Comic Super Heroes for almost all of the V's. We also had the Lemon named for obivious reasons, it was a Lemon until the crew finally got everything fixed.

We ran convoys everday. We had 11 V's and every 11 days your crew would open the roads and bring the 1st convoy down from An Khe and then would go in for maintenance on your vehicle. If you got through in time you had the rest of the day off. That was when you went to the barbershop or PX. Not anywhere else to go.

I wish I had photos to post of all of our V's but I don't. I actually have some better pics of Flash, the one blown up but I need to get them scanned.

Last edited:

baseballump

One of our guys painted ours he did a great job and we used a lot of the Super Heroes on ours. No one would say what the story was on Zig-Zag I think you can guess.
We only had 6 or 7 V's and we would run three or four days then maybe off a day (this is when we took care of them) Some times we turned the next morning and were gone for three or four more days. We ran 2 V's and a gun jeep on most convoys some times three V's and no jeep.
We did have some down time but the more we did so we would stay out of trouble. We liked being out on the road and not in Cam Rahn because they always, had something lined up for us to do.
And I wish I had taken more pictures and writen down names and address. Our group has put to gether a list of about 200 plus guys who serviered with the 630th. When you can check out our web site 630th M P CO RVN.

jollyroger

You guys are awesome........I can't thank you enough for sharing.........I have a lot of friends with dads, who are really good men, Vietnam Veterans, and they can't share their experiences........It's obvious why they can't. And I don't want them to do something they don't want to do.......But there are times that I, WE would like to have the opportunity to honor their memories so no one forgets they were men doing an extrodinary job..........

I appreciate the opportunity to honor your memories and I thank you.

You make me proud to be an American.

And some day I will own and operate a V-100.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks