• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in Idaho

jacobm

Hello! My name is Jacob and I'm here because I'm considering the purchase of a 1954 GMC M211. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so that if I buy this thing, I don't get in over my head too quickly. Any advice or experiences are welcome!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky Jacob. My advice is to buy the truck and have fun with it. Ensure the condition of the truck can be addressed with your level of mechanical aptitude. I would not start with a basket case.
JC

jacobm

I'm not terribly experienced as a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to do some work. My only concern is possibly having to tow the truck to a shop, assuming I can find a shop, to pay to have work done if I run into something I can't do. I think I'll try to do the best pre purchase inspection I can, and hope that it's mechanically in good shape. If not, then this probably isn't the truck for me.

Camel Driver

Welcome Jason! I'm pretty new myself but, it is a happy fact that there are many here that have priceless experience! A word of warning......they do like you to do a little digging for info yourself before asking for help! So make sure you try out the "Search" function with your questions before just asking for help. After that, I'm sure these guys will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a great day, Bill

Hello! My name is Jacob and I'm here because I'm considering the purchase of a 1954 GMC M211. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so that if I buy this thing, I don't get in over my head too quickly. Any advice or experiences are welcome!

Camel Driver

Jacob, have you looked at any of the repair manuals for this truck? The military publishes some VERY detailed manuals aimed at folks with little experience. If you haven't seen them, take some time to find them online or, maybe they are here on SS. Like I said, I'm kind of new here myself. Maybe one of the guys here can point you in the right direction to download them. I'm sure you will be very encouraged after you get a good look at the manuals. It is the one thing that the military has done an A++ job on!

I'm not terribly experienced as a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to do some work. My only concern is possibly having to tow the truck to a shop, assuming I can find a shop, to pay to have work done if I run into something I can't do. I think I'll try to do the best pre purchase inspection I can, and hope that it's mechanically in good shape. If not, then this probably isn't the truck for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks