• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in NC

hillbillyboy

Hey yall, I have been looking into purchasing a deuce and a half for a few years. After reading around on this board, i hope i dont get anyone ticked off at me for this, but i would use it as a farm work/ pulling folks out of the mud truck instead of a show piece. I have seen some videos of these trucks in action and they look pretty unstoppable. I have a few questions about the trucks. Is there an easy way to put a reese hitch on one? also, is it true you have to double clutch to drive one? and a last question. what does insurance run on one of these puppies? thanks in advance for the help!

820jeep

Welcome aboard. In my opinion they are all work trucks that I play with and work with. I am not a "spritzer" ( someone who anytime some dirt gets on the tires they run out with a spray bottle of water and wash the tires down). I have seen reese type hitches modifyed to go on them. I have never had to double clutch. Ins. price seems to jump all around, due some shopping first. Thanks, Bob.

Scarecrow1

Hello and welcome for SC . There are so many members that use these trucks for everything you can think of work and play so feel at home. You drive these like any big truck ( with caution to whats around you )And they do make some with auto trans , but they are high priced for a farm truck . Look up info in resources tab at the top of the page .............Good luck

FrankUSMC

Insurance is not bad at all on the trucks.
I am putting a reese hitch on mine that I got off an Air force truck that had one rigged up on it. You are more than welcome to make a run for the coast and copy it.
No, on the douple clutch, that would have been on the WWII 6x6 (the CCKW).
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, Newport, NC (near Morehead City)

Goose2448

Welcome
The trans has syncros so no duble clutching
The Deuce has a glad hand for towing but as mentioned above you could put a regular hitch on them
They are a good farm truck only thing is they dont have lockers. But they can be bought if you find you need them.
If you are useing it as a farm truck only then you probly dont have to get insurence but I here they go for about $400 a year at Hegarty. You could look around for the best price.
My suggestion for gitting one is one with a winch for pulling out a stuck truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks