• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy in Nebraska

gpcpilot

Howdy folks, well I've been a member for a short time and finally got around to posting my newbie thread. I'm a Desert Shield/Storm-era Army vet and my farming partner and I just added our first semi-truck to the farm operation. It is a retired M915A1.

I found the truck with 28K miles, in near pristine condition at a dealer in South Dakota who'd bought 4 of them at auction. This one was the best of the lot and other than a missing brush guard (dealer removed it and I had him put it back on before taking deliver) the truck is near perfect.

Data plate shows it was overhauled by AM General in November 2002 and the interior doesn't even look like it had even been sat in. Impressed with the Big Cam III and Allison automatic, though it'd be really nice if there were a 6th step at the top of the gearing. The dealer painted it flat black (it's paint, not primer) for aesthetics he says. I'd have preferred it OD green, but close inspection showed he didn't cover over anything heinous.

The "General" as we call it, is going to pull grain trailer and spray trailer here in rural SE Nebraska. It is currently out at the paint shop being soda-blasted and repainted in a more civilian friendly color in order to blend in a bit better with the locals. Photos of the final paint job will follow in a couple weeks. For the record, the General drove from Sioux City, SD to Lincoln, NE towing a 30' military flatbed trailer (as a favor to the dealer) with a pickup truck loaded on it, without a hiccup.

Glad to be here and be a part of this unique community! :D

-Tony

Attachments

91W350

We have a member here, REB87, just north of you that uses four M915s and a M920 in his operation. He has several other MVs as well. If you have any questions about those trucks, he is a great guy.

gpcpilot

Thanks folks, I think I've seen REB's posts on here. It was because of some of what he posted that we decided to go with the 915.

I agree, personally, I think it should be repainted OD green, but in our community, very small village, there are those to whom we have to keep appeased and present a "professional" appearance to. In particular, landlords, as we share-crop. So the general consensus was repaint.

That being said, we have a paint scheme that I think is gonna look pretty dang good on The General... Just in the few weeks we've had it and driving it around town, people have really noticed it. It is an imposing looking truck in flat black and even in OD green. The kids really love it and usually thumbs-up it when they see it. But, with the repaint, I think it is still gonna stand out.

For what its worth, the paint job is gonna either look really, awesome or really awful. 2cents

deuceman51

Welcome to the group. If you need any parts or service on your truck i'm just 20mi north of the border in SD and work on the M915s and deuces. They are a great truck for sure.

91W350

Stop by if you find yourself going south on 135. We do not have any 915 parts yet, but the place is still worth a visit. Glen

gpcpilot

Painted, finally

Well as promised, attached are photos of the M915A1 painted. OD Green purists will cringe. It is a custom-mixed color that we call sunset-red. It is gold metallic base coat, red clear-candy and then clear coat. The photos don't do it justice though. Depending on the light, it goes from fire engine red to subtle orange and copper.

The family loves it and we've gotten numerous comments and compliments in the elevator lines as well as around town. Even had one guy stop by the house when it was parked outside and he wanted a closer look. He was a Iraqi war vet.

So without further ado, hope you like:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks