• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy in Oklahoma

swirvin21

Got out of the corps a little over a year ago and now I've decided that I want a M35A2 to drive with pride. I've got good fab skills and know-how, just lacking on the space and tool part. Probably can't pull it off right now, but want to research what is best for me, so I can start making a plan.

I'd like this to be my short trip tow vehicle, trail wheeler, and just a great rig to go out and show off from time to time.

1st question would be motor/trans. I was an F18 ordie, so motor T was not my thing. Is there a motor or transmission to avoid? Is there a better combo for some street/towing duty?

I know I have some battle on this, but "the boss" is onboard, with some requirements: heat, A/C, and room for dogs/kids....2 of those are easy, 1 is not. I have already tried bringing up installing bed mounted kennels. So, I'm thinking a long bob with a small bench extension in the back of the cab. Really don't want to mess with a double cab conversion if I can avoid it. Suggestions, complaints, warnings....

Any advice is appreciated!

LanceRobson

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving.

There are no better or worse engines or transmissions. AC will be tough if not cost prohibitive. If the kids are young the noise vibration and jarring on bumps could be a safety issue. As you know, these thing are not housebroken. They ride pretty rough.

Lance

M1075

Welcome Okie! We have a good group here called the Oklahoma Convoy. You are welcome to join us anytime to look over trucks, ride along, ask questions, heck even drive!

swirvin21

No better or worse engines or transmissions? Wow, never thought I would hear that! I know that A/C may be expensive, but finding a self contained unit for a small cab shouldn't be too cost prohibitive. I'm more worried about the cab part to be honest.

Oklahoma Convoy eh? Sounds like a good time, anything I can do to make my wife like them more is a good thing! When do you guys usually get together? My HMMWV license has probably expired by now, but I'd love to get behind the wheel sometime. We just have to be careful that I don't get the bug too bad. :drool:
I've already started looking at ML in OKC, but seems like the descriptions are a little lacking compared to some of the other bases. Anything i can learn can only benefit!

Thanks gents, looking forward to a non-civy vehicle! A Dodge Diesel loaded gets 11-12MPG loaded anyways, might as well have some fun!

spartan_185

Welcome Aboard! Its good to see another Okie here, and "hopefully" rolling down the road in a nice piece of OD iron one day. When you finally go to purchase, don't forget to check craigslist. You can sometimes find great deals on trucks that are already titled and tagged. As for the creature comforts, they're a little lacking, but to each his own. I am one of those that appreciate the simplicity.

Fort rogers

Glad to read your post and thanks for serving!! Im pretty new to this site also and am amazed with all the info you can learn for free! But do be carfull because the green thing is very adictive ha ha

swirvin21

This addiction should help kick the "worm dirt" habit, right. :lol:

It's good to know I'll have some fellow addicts within driving distance that will let me park my deuce on their lawn and sleep in the bed once my wife finds out how much I'm planning on spending! Adds up quick it seems.

Worst part is my HOA, gonna have to pull out the by-laws and see whether I'm going to wake up to pitchforks and torches one night!

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to learning from your mistakes, LOL. Please label your wives either positive or negative so I know who to have my wife avoid

M813A1

Just think once you get your vehicle you can find most of the manuals for your vehiclehere on the link to the old Steel Soldiers site and you can download them

JAYHAWK 1962

welcome from new mexico. ft sill has trucks for auction quite often. got one of mine there. less than 200 miles for you. wish it were that close to me! enjoy the site

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks