• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy in Wooldridge, MO

gyrogear

I am so happy that this site exists! I have been coming here for a couple of months now, and finally signed up yesterday. I am amazed at the wealth of experience and information assembled here.

I am a real newbie to military vehicles, but have been looking at them for awhile. I want to set one up as a motorhome and use it get into the back country of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, to return to the gold prospecting I spent a decade of my past doing. I love being in the bush, and seeing those yellow flecks in my pan or sluice turns me on like nothing short of a beautiful woman. Yeah, I've been bitten by the gold bug...since I was ten!

I went down to Jefferson City Tuesday to preview the vehicles at auction on GL. I had every intention of bidding on that M928, as I have a motorhome box that will fit perfectly on that 20 foot bed. Today I read through GL's Terms and Conditions and the recovery checklist posted here on SS. I have realized how woefully unprepared I am to complete the transaction and pick up, if I was the winning bidder. Seems I have more than a few ducks to get in a row before I'm ready for this next(and probably final) adventure.

I am confident that most, if not all, the information I'm lacking is available right here on this site. I plan on spending/investing some serious time here so I am prepared for the next chance I have to pursue this next adventure.

As of today, March 14, 2013, I am an official "Old Fart" since this is the 15th anniversary of my 50th birthday. I have seen, up close and personal, what the back side of life has to offer, having cared for both my parents through their passing. I believe I have the time for at least one more adventure before I've served my time and get my final discharge papers. Wish me luck!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site from another "OF", just 5 years your junior just across the line in KS. You should have gone ahead and bid, the hardest part of a 928 is getting in the cab!

gyrogear

Thanks for the welcome. After reading GL's Terms I felt really unprepared for picking up that M928. I don't have an air brake endorsement on my license, unsure of how to obtain liability insurance on it without ownership docs, how to get a general liability policy or Workmans comp on the help I'd need to recover it. Honestly, I don't even know how to start the thing. I have driven a 5 ton truck before, but that was a gasser and over 40 years ago. I downloaded the TM (48 meg) yesterday after finding the link to LOGSA here on the site. That's going to help a lot. Like anything, it's a learning curve. I'll be better prepared for the next time. Judging from the large number of trucks I saw on a lot just outside the base, there will be other opportunities. I would rather err on the side of caution than screw up and lose the truck and 25% of the price to GL if I didn't recover it in the time allowed.
I live just 5 miles from I-70 and 15 from Boonville. If you are ever in the neighborhood shoot me an email and we can meet for lunch in B'ville or Columbia. New guy Daniel

Stein12501

Gyrogear welcome I live just north of Jefferson City off of Hwy 94. Bought a 923 from JC last year and drove it home. I love it. You probably want to look into the CDL. I did mine as a Farm truck I think it needs class "F" and I'm sure an "Air Brake Endorsment". According to State Farm in Missouri you have 30 days from purchase to drive any vehicle home and be covered. If I can be of any help just let me know. Good Luck.

Triple C

Wooldridge huh? I am from the Pilot Grove area, live just East of KC now. Welcome to the site, don't miss the banner on the top of the page. I am right up there with you on age and I say go for it! I bought a 925 and it's a ball. Just be prepared to do some heavy truck maint and repair or be prepared to pay heavy truck mech prices. I think your goal of making an off road camper would work great and do just what you want it to do. Have fun and don't forget to post lots of pics when you get your project started:-D

gyrogear

Stein12501, Thanks for the welcome and advice. I had called State Farm this morning and they told me exactly what you said. I already have 3 vehicles insured with them. I'm sure they would love to have a fourth.
I have a class F license, but need to get the air brake endorsement. I'm waiting on that until I get my CCW so I only have to pay the DOR once for a license change. Speaking of the DOR, someone over there doesn't think we should have military vehicles. They have been classifying them as "not built to U. S. standards" and "not for highway use". I talked with the Highway Patrol Inspection Officer at Troop F and explained to him what I wanted to do. He said they would re-classify the MV as a motorhome and issue a new VIN for it. That will get me title and license as a motorhome and save me big on license and insurance.
I like the M923 too, but there is just no room under it for the tanks I need for the motorhome. Gotta have that 20 foot bed, and that 20,000 pound winch on the front is just the thing for pulling boulders out of a stream bed to get the gold from underneath.

gyrogear

Triple C, I've been to Pilot Grove many times. Mom was at Katy Manor and I would visit 3 or 4 times a week. I'm also a member of the Cooper County Historical Society and our research center is there. Nice place.
Thanks for pointing out the banner. Guess I came close to breaking the rules on my first post. Stupid newbie. Sorry about that.
I looked hard at the 925's, but just no room underneath for tankage needed with the motorhome.

Last edited:

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gyrogear, Welcome! I'm almost a newbie myself. Only been on here for not quite a year. I'm originally from southeastern MO myself, so I'm familiar with your area in the center of the state. I live a couple-three hours northeast of you now, but I get down there quite a bit. I need to get down to Jeff City soon. I was watching that 928 too and while I didn't need it, it sure seemed like a good candidate for an RV-type scenario. Good luck in your search and I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates!

gyrogear

ridingshotgun, Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the M928 is just about perfect for what I want to do. My motorhome box will actually fit inside that 20 foot bed, although I would probably pull the bed and mount the box to the frame just to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

Triple C

Triple C, I've been to Pilot Grove many times. Mom was at Katy Manor and I would visit 3 or 4 times a week. I'm also a member of the Cooper County Historical Society and our research center is there. Nice place.
Thanks for pointing out the banner. Guess I came close to breaking the rules on my first post. Stupid newbie. Sorry about that.
I looked hard at the 925's, but just no room underneath for tankage needed with the motorhome.

No problem friend, just want you to enjoy your time here and gotta look out for a fellow Mo. guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks