• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, intro and questions.

magerdgr

Hey there, new to the forum, but not to MV's. Just picked up a '58 M56c1 contact maintenance truck, and currently also have an M38a1 and an M416. I've owned 7 other MV's, and a slew of civvy stuff. This one is an odd one though. I'm wondering if anybody knows how many were built, and possibly how many remain? I know that's a long shot question, but it doesn't hurt to ask right? Also, can anyone tell me if the M56C came with a pioneer kit?
Thanks in advance!
M.

foxtrk2

not sure about that number you gave but I have a 63 contact truck restored and from what ive learned there were only 1400 ever built on the 37 chassis from start to finish and only two registered in the us mine and one in texas at this time

magerdgr

A 63 as in 1963? Mine was in active service until '85, at least that's when regular maintenance stopped being done. It came to me straight from the army, and is in'80's camo. I've never been a huge fan of contact trucks, and would much rather have a normal M37, but if its rare I won't alter it. Does yours look like this?

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Doyle, who is on the site when he's not eyebrow deep in editing and writing, would know exactly how many were built - it's probably in one of his books.

magerdgr

Excellent, I hope he can and will shed some light on it for me, I'd love to know. Foxtrk2, looked at pics of yours, definitely the same beast! Does yours have a pioneer kit then? Also I'd love to see more pics of yours, maybe from the back, and of your panel?
Thanks!
P.S. I'm also a firefighter! Great minds I guess I?