• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy looking at a M38a1 1952 vintage....

Brokn

Hey guys! I am going to go look at a m38 to go buy this week, I know very little about these beasts and am wondering if there is any thing I need to look at...

What i know is it has been tore down to the frame for the last 35 years and stored inside. From what pictures I have seen is 99% rust free.. claims are all parts are there and everything is painted tan.. seller also claims 11,000 original Miles.. For all I know he could be a member here. It is sitting in 3 major pieces... complete frame with engine out, Tub, and dog house.. assuming it is 99% rust free what would it be worth $1000.00? I know it is hard to say without seeing it but any info would help alot!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Being rust free is 50% of what's important.

The rest is:

Lack of modifications to the tub: No tailgates cut in, no holes for roll bars, dumb stuff like that.

Original 24V stuff. I like to install new harnesses in stuff that old, so a hacked up harness isn't the end of the world to me but if you have to buy the 24V regulator and generator, mounting brackets, etc., it can get pricey.

Original military stuff, like the correct fuel pump (with air pump for wipers), correct carburetor, correct oil filter, etc. It adds up.

All the military doodads like the correct pintle hitch, front and rear d-rings, rear seat, jerry can mount, spare tire mount, correct 16" rims, blackout lights, military windshield (2 piece), etc.

But if it's rust free, for a grand I don't think you could go wrong. Keep in mind if it's been taken apart that long, there will be a ton of missing nuts and bolts, so plan on buying a rusty parts Jeep to steal all the correct hardware off of.

Brokn

If the 24volt stuff is gone is it a huge deal to convert it to 12 volt? I know it has not been cut for a tailgate so I got that going for me.. As far as original parts is there something that will tell me that it is? USN number? is there a something out there that has pictures of original parts? I am tottally new to Jeeps in general but not to wrenching the work does not bother me at all I just want to be informed when I go look at this and not buy something that is not any where near correct.. Usually I take a little time to research something like this but I can't this one..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If the 24volt stuff is gone is it a huge deal to convert it to 12 volt?
No, not really. Put a 12V alternator on it and replace the gauges with 12V civvy units, then replace all the light bulbs with 12V units. Sending units for oil and temp may need to be replaced.

I wouldn't recommend that-if you're buying a vehicle in that condition, you're in an ideal place to go ahead and do a "frame off" resto and if you're doing all that, do it right. Even a nicely restored Jeep will see a value drop with a 12V conversion.

As far as original parts is there something that will tell me that it is? USN number?
I assume you mean NSN and not USN, but you do have a couple options:

One is getting your hands on the correct TM's and reading them. They'll have descriptions of all the stuff that the Jeep is supposed to be with and NSNs to boot.

I'd also look at www.willysmjeeps.com, www.m38a1.com and google image searches for M38A1.

is there a something out there that has pictures of original parts?
See above answer.

I am tottally new to Jeeps in general but not to wrenching the work does not bother me at all I just want to be informed when I go look at this and not buy something that is not any where near correct.. Usually I take a little time to research something like this but I can't this one..
Well, the biggest thing you have going for you is that you're smart enough to start doing your research before going to look at it. If it all possible, taking a knowledgeable Jeep guy with you would be ideal. If not, your best bet is simply to read as much on SS, g503.com, willysmjeeps.com and m38a1.com as possible.

Brokn

Oops, yes I meant NSN, And Thanks for the links and ideas. Any more info will be greatly appreciated but it looks like all my spare time is going to be spend looking at those links for the next two days.. Thanks again

wilfreeman

Yeah, for $1,000, as long as about 85% of it is there and it isn't rusted apart, you can have a decent Jeep running and driving for decent money. If you want a show piece, I would do ALOT more research and know for sure what you are buying, because starting with a less than 85% complete, original Jeep will cost you boatloads to get back to show quality (trust me - I started out doing a factory quality resto, and ended up with a motor pool class and still have about $12,000 in her! - but I think I am having more fun using her than trailering her around to shows only)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks