• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Looking for M1009 Info

Texis

Hi guys, new to the forum. I am currently looking for an M1009 and it doesn't look like one will be "too" hard to find. Currently searching, calling, Gov bidding, etc. I am looking for a clean rolling chasis, engine, transmission not needed.

I will be towing the "new" ride home to southeast Texas (once I locate my prize) and I need some spacing information on the front shackle lugs. Specifically:

>What is the inside diamension from lug to lug?
>What is the outside dimension from lug to lug?
>What is the hole diameter in the lugs?...and backset from the front of the lug?

As you guys have already figured out, I'm going to fabricate a tow bar. Is there a reference drawing on the these lugs?

Thanks in advance, and if you guys know of a vehicle matching my requirements, I'd be interested....southern half of the country is much easier for me.

K45

Those specs you are asking for should be the same as a civilian K5.

All I know is the track width for the front is 64.1" and the rear is 63.0"

I hope it helps if you look up specs for a 10 bolt that should give you all the info you need to build your tow bar.

Texis

Thanks, I may have mis-titled the pieces I am looking for info on. I am referencing the 2 (lugs?) that protrude from the front bumper, that commonly have shackles in them. They look like box bar material and I assume they bolt to the frame rails.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will get you the information, including photos of my set up, tomorrow. I used a standard 5000lb adjustable towbar by Valley and a couple of modified 2" receiver tubes. There are other photos on this site that I referenced when fabricating mine. I know the shackle pin hole diameter is 1" and the shackle tubes are 2" tall and 1-1/2" wide.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Texis,

Between tubes is 28.25"
Center to center is 29.75"
Outside to outside is 31.25"
Bumper to center of shackle pin hole is 2" (measured at the top of the tube)
Tube size is 2" x 1.5"
Pin hole is 1" diameter

K45

Sorry abotu that. When I hear lug I automatically think wheels. I see you are talking about the shackles. If it was not already given I have a cucv bumper set up at home I could have measured it for you. Glad you got your info and good luck with the build.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's quite the simple yet efficient set-up. Thanks to whoever (don't rember which SS member) came up with the idea. I towed the M1009 from Columbus to Detroit with my Jeep Grand Cherokee and it towed real nice as long as I stayed at 55 or below.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks