• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy - M1009 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Part Number?

CompoundCuckVee

I've just bought an 86 M1009, It had trouble idling, you let off the throttle too quick and it will stall, it was probably a filter, or something simple. But I bought after the Portsmouth, NH Highway Dept. got a hold of it, painted it orange, and started running it on kerosene. So I figured I might as well check out the tank, so I dropped it, cleaned it, and im going to use some lubromoly diesel purge before i re-install the tank. But the sending unit was corroded on the inside of the tank, after sitting for two years with half a tank of off-road diesel... So to avoid future problems, I'm going to replace the sender. does anyone know the part number for napa, autozone, or wherever?

Suggestions are welcome for other mods/repairs. I started with the fuel system, and next is all the fluid changes; tranny, differentials, oil, filters, chassis lube, and whatever I gotta do to get it back into top running condition.

I'm new here, and to diesels in general, but I can take some flak, so have at it. I could stand to learn a few things.

CompoundCuckVee

nobody has the right unit. They've got one, but I take a look at it, and its got three outlets, the one I pulled off the tank on mine, it has four. filler neck vent, feed line, return line, and filter drain. Any ideas?

M725

Manuf. part# 25004140 It's from the 289-20-P. The parts guy at the NAPA I deal at, cross matchs it to a NAPA#. You used to be able to do it at their web site. But they took it off, why who knows? 9 out of 10 times the part#'s cross over out of the military parts manual (CUCV & M880s) Not the NSNs It has to be the Part # OK.

CCATLETT1984

I just noticed in your first post, that they ran the truck on kerosene. Thats not the best thing for the injector pump, as its not as lubricative as regular diesel fuel. Depending on if they ran it on that for a long time, you may be looking at a injector pump rebuilt in the future.

CompoundCuckVee

Alright Thanks guys. I just found the part number in 289-20P, it does cross over to the napa #, autozone too. Autozone wanted $106 for it, NAPA took $70.

And yeah... they ran it on kerosene for a year or two, and then let it sit for another year with 1/2tank of it. It was pretty pale, so I'm hoping they were at least blending it with diesel. An injector rebuild is on my to-do list though. As soon as I get an intake, I figured im right there anyway, why not just unbolt and at least clean the intake mani. But when I dropped the tank the lines on the sender were rusted from about a half tank up... Looked like rock candy.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: New Guy - M1009 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Part Number?

CompoundCuckVee said:
Alright Thanks guys. I just found the part number in 289-20P, it does cross over to the napa #, autozone too. Autozone wanted $106 for it, NAPA took $70.

And yeah... they ran it on kerosene for a year or two, and then let it sit for another year with 1/2tank of it. It was pretty pale, so I'm hoping they were at least blending it with diesel. An injector rebuild is on my to-do list though. As soon as I get an intake, I figured im right there anyway, why not just unbolt and at least clean the intake mani. But when I dropped the tank the lines on the sender were rusted from about a half tank up... Looked like rock candy.
I happen to have a spare J code intake. I'd let it go for cheap. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks