• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Question

Salty dog

I have been pouring over the FAQs, and sticky threads, and I apologize for being direct but I have a couple of questions,

It’s 75 degrees out and I go outside to play with my new to me M1009, I turn the ignition key and the wait light goes out in less than five seconds, I turn the key to start the engine and she just wont start, I get white smoke from the exhaust. Which if I read correctly is unburnt fuel, at the same time after I initially turn the key I hear a loud click, but the loud click repeats about every five seconds. I dont have a meter with me at the moment ( helper left it on the jobsite) but does this sound like I need to replace the glow plugs and if so what model is recommended

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you have a few non-functioning glow plugs or the glow plug relay is bad.

Check the voltage on the GP relay terminal with the Orange wires. It should be around 12 volts when the relay is closed.

The second item to check is the resistance of each glow plug.
Disconnect the green wire on each glow plug and check the resistance from the GP terminal to ground. A good GP should read around 1 ohm.
Or you can pull each GP and check them on the bench. A visual inspection of each GP would be a good idea.

Salty dog

Ok so I ran out and picked up a new meter, I started by checking the glow plugs I removed the green wire, placed the red lead to the terminal and the black lead to ground. I did not register a reading at all, tried this on several glow plugs. I than removed a glow plug, and before testing it crossed the leads on the meter to see what it was reading, I bench tested a couple of the glow plugs and again did not register anything on the meter. One of the plugs that I pulled was slightly bent / curved at the end from possible swelling. Looking at some of the plugs in the engine block some appear to be newer than others. What is the recommendation for new plugs and also does anyone have the part number for the glow plug relay?

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Methinks that if one has a glow plug engine ( plugs power is in series) just take them all out and put all new ones and start it up. You can chase your tail for hours and hours.
Gee, just go get a bunch of new glow plugs, never let one fail.

Salty dog

Methinks that if one has a glow plug engine ( plugs power is in series) just take them all out and put all new ones and start it up. You can chase your tail for hours and hours.
Gee, just go get a bunch of new glow plugs, never let one fail.
As soon as I saw the one I was like time to go to the parts store, just looking up to see what is the preferred manufacturer for glow plugs

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some prefer the A C Delco 13G while some like the A C Delco 60G. The 13G's are original and the 60G's will require changing the wire connector to 1/4" female.

You can get 8 of the 13G's from Advance Auto for less than $80 shipped using the code RMN25.

You can get 8 of the 60G's from Advance Auto for less than $60 shipped using the code RMN25.

Possibly less if you have speedperks rewards.

May vary with sales tax...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

MarcusOReallyus

Frank, he's got bad plugs on a CUCV. There is no reason at this point to think he has any other problem.

Why are you posting a link to a Humvee GP system bypass?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks