• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, quick question.

DatGuyC

Hello all. I picked up a 68 M35A2 a couple weeks ago and have slowly been going through the issues I have found with it and working the kinks out, these forums have been VERY helpful. This is my first vehicle of this kind but I like to think of myself as pretty mechanically inclined and love working on cars and such. Anyways I have found out that she has the common problem of dumping diesel into the crankcase so that is the #1 problem I am working on so far. I bypassed the FDC and removed the flame heater but the issue still persists so I'm hoping its the hydraulic head seals and not the booster pump seal as that one seems hard to find. I have done my research and found the sizes for the 2 main seals but cannot for the life of me find the size of the seal that goes around the fuel cutoff rod under the HH. I outlined the seal I need in the attached TM page. If anyone knows what size it is or has a dash number your help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Welcome. I know the size of that little o-ring has been posted on here before. I think it's a few pages back in the thread. I don't remember what the title of the thread is. Sorry to be so vague.

SMOKEWAGON66

I dont know what size it is, and if no one posts it....most TMs, like the one you got that diagram from, have pages that list all part numbers and NSN's that can be googled and cross referenced. Those pages are usually after all the diagrams for each section, and have a heading stating for which diagram they are for. Thats how I find all the info I need when using TMs. Not saying this to be one of those "go read the manual guys" , just some info about TMs..as they can be confusing and hard to interperate if youve never used one before.

FEDLOG: NSN 5331-00-292-1464

ADVN CROSS-SECTIONAL HEIGHT 0.055 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.065 INCHES MAXIMUM ADYT CENTER HOLE DIAMETER 0.370 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.380 INCHES MAXIMUM AGAV END ITEM IDENTIFICATION TRUCK, CARGO, DROPSIDE 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E; PROPULSION SYSTEMS MATT MATERIAL RUBBER BUTADIENE-ACRYLONITRILE CLASS NBR

AMBAC INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION

Last edited:

rrrr

Good luck and great job doing searches and reading the forums. You are on the right track. I have a very slight leak at my IP . I need to check it out. Hopefully its only the o rings for the fuel shutoff.

Oh, welcome aboard.

Wait for it ......................................

nopics

You always need to post a pic of your new addition :beer:

RIDDLE1

I just bought this kit when my hydraulic head started leaking fuel into the crankcase.

I will tell you this from experience, you can replace them with the IP on the truck but it would be well worth the time to just pull the IP.

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

I just bought this kit when my hydraulic head started leaking fuel into the crankcase.

I will tell you this from experience, you can replace them with the IP on the truck but it would be well worth the time to just pull the IP.
I will PM you the link.

DatGuyC

I dont know what size it is, and if no one posts it....most TMs, like the one you got that diagram from, have pages that list all part numbers and NSN's that can be googled and cross referenced. Those pages are usually after all the diagrams for each section, and have a heading stating for which diagram they are for. Thats how I find all the info I need when using TMs. Not saying this to be one of those "go read the manual guys" , just some info about TMs..as they can be confusing and hard to interperate if youve never used one before.

FEDLOG: NSN 5331-00-292-1464

ADVN CROSS-SECTIONAL HEIGHT 0.055 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.065 INCHES MAXIMUM ADYT CENTER HOLE DIAMETER 0.370 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.380 INCHES MAXIMUM AGAV END ITEM IDENTIFICATION TRUCK, CARGO, DROPSIDE 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E; PROPULSION SYSTEMS MATT MATERIAL RUBBER BUTADIENE-ACRYLONITRILE CLASS NBR

AMBAC INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
Yeah I found that NSN also through searching on the web but the one in the TM was 2910-00-292-1464, I wasn't sure if the first 4 numbers made a difference or not so I thought I would ask before I bought the wrong thing. Couldn't find those exact sizes in the McMaster catalog but they have some 1.5mm width by 9.5mm ID o-rings which if I haven't completely failed at my conversions should be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

I also found those kits but from what I've read they are NOS kits with the same rubber seals that went bad before, I really wanted to try and find some viton seals because I hear they preform better. I might just end up purchasing this anyways though because you can never have enough extra parts haha.

Good luck and great job doing searches and reading the forums. You are on the right track. I have a very slight leak at my IP . I need to check it out. Hopefully its only the o rings for the fuel shutoff.

Oh, welcome aboard.

Wait for it ......................................

nopics

You always need to post a pic of your new addition :beer:
She's looks a little rough because it looks like she spent a lot of time under someones tree so she's covered in some kind of pollen or something that wont just wash off, but I plan to strip and repaint her anyways so in a few weeks she should be looking much better.

Attachments

DatGuyC

Do you think the -013's would fit a little loose since their ID is .426" and the maximum ID for the seal the nsn describes is .380"? Sorry if these are stupid questions, this stuff is still new to me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats just the thread I saw the part listed. I have a huge box of O-rings I would go to if it were my issue. Sorry I can't answer your question better.

offroadtruckr

I had the same problem with fuel leaking into the engine oil from the fuel injection pump behind the fuel shutoff cover. I replaced the old fuel control unit/fuel shut off rod o-ring with a size -013 and that fixed the problem. The fuel injection pump Tech Manual explains how to replace this o-ring on the fuel control unit/fuel shutoff assembly plus there are some very helpful posts on SS.

Cleanliness is critical when repairing the fuel injection pump.
Use caution when you remove the fcu rod from the injection pump as there is a very small plunger sleeve pin that fits in the end of the rod and it can fall out. My plunger sleeve pin fell out when I removed the fcu rod, luckily I had placed a tarp under my engine which caught the pin or else it would have been lost in the gravel of my driveway.
When you reassemble the fcu it can be a bit tricky to engage the pin into the plunger sleeve slot when inserting the fcu into the injection pump but this is explained pretty well in the TM.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks