• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy. Saved a M51A2 from crusher, now need help!

ROCKLIZARD1

Hey guys, just wanted to say I love this site and mil trucks are awesome!! Ok then, I own a custom paint and fab shop and I have built all kinds of vehicles over the years but this is my first military truck build. I have big plans for this truck, bobbed, 53's, HEMTT wheels, custom tube fenders, bumpers, bed, arctic camo paint, etc. I did some paint work for a guy and traded the labor for the truck. He was hauling it to the scrap yard the next day and I couldnt let it be destroyed.
Anyway, I need help identifying what engine is in it so I can get some manuals for it. The previous owner said it has sat for a few years and rats have eaten most of the wiring and hoses off of the truck. So I need a wiring schematic, and hose routing diagram also. I have no idea of when the last time the engine was running so I could really use some input on how to go about starting it for the first time. Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.
I am also looking for a front leafspring bc the mil wrap on the main leaf is broken off. There is a winch added to the front of this truck but there is no pto drive on my trans so I am going to sell it and other parts that I take off the truck.
I have tried to find as much info as I can but I havnt done a very good job. The dash plates say it is a M51A2 dump truck, I think it is a '68 model but not certain. The engine has a rebuild tag on it but it doesnt give and specifics about it.
Thanks for any help and info guys.
Well I pulled it up to the shop today and started to tinker with it. I hooked up some batteries and tried to crank the engine over, but the starter is shot. So I pulled the front driveshaft and then the starter, took the starter apart and sure enough, its been full of water at one time and now its trashed.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the tm series you are looking for is tm9-2320-211-10 (operators manual), ect. ALL will start with tm9 2320-211-

You can find the TMs here
UPDATED LIST
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Technical Manuals - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
OR
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
ARMY 6X6: SERVICE MANUALS
OR
MilitaryTrucks.ca - M135 Deuce Truck ---Canadian trucks
OR
america1 --Military Radios
OR
500 Free U.S. Military Manauls Survival Ebooks Info Center
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

eagle4g63

The motor looks to me like a multi fuel, the ones in the 5 ton were more powerful than in the deuce and half like I have. Hope it is a good motor, can run on almost anything you put in the tank!!

ARYankee

Welcome to the site!! Great seeing another Arkansan :) There are a bunch of us from AR on here. Also if you are interested, we have started a club.

RealCavDog

Welcome, from whats left of Joplin ! Used to run down to Siloam Springs a couple times a week with our delivery driver at Premier Truck Parts, before they were Fleetpride !

Heck of a bumper and winch ! I agree with the multi-fuel, as far as I can see.

Pretty good starting point, especially saving it from the crusher !

More pictures as you get started, we love that stuff !

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes a m51a2 is a muilti, this truck WAS a dump, looks like a NON military winch was installed

ROCKLIZARD1

Well I found a Delco 12V starter off of a semi trailer shuttle truck, changed the drive gear and It works perfectly. I replaced air lines on the engine, hot wired the in tank pump, bled the filters, ran an air line to pressurize the air system, bled the injectors and viola, It's ALIVE!!!

Attachments

ROCKLIZARD1

I'm not sure if the video just loaded is working or not so let me know so I can fix it. But after I let the truck run for a bit, oil started coming out the exhaust pipe. So I pulled the turbo off and the bushing and seals are thrashed. So I emailed J&H Diesel and they said it would be a couple weeks before their Schwitzer rebuild kits would be in. Now I will have to wait! But on a positive note, I scored a Deuce with a Reo gas engine from a guy that was gonna scrap it! So now I am looking to trade the Deuce for a 5 ton truck, or maybe something interesting.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks