• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Wilmington NC.

Shags

Hey all hows it going, My name is Kacy Ive been lurking this site off and on for a little bit and I figured I MIGHT be in the market for a Military Vehicle so now might be the time to start asking questions, using the search and meet other locals that might be wiling to point me into the right direction.

First off I live in Wilmington nc, And work for the Town Of Carolina Beach, Im on the northend EVERYDAY at work and when I leave work lol during the summer months.

So whatever I decide to purchase will be just a beach rig/ weekend mud/ recovery truck. (I really enjoy pulling stuck people off the beach... dono why haha)

Right now im still debating on getting a cucv m1008 and going to 44" (or around that tires) or a m35a2 and bobbing it in the future when money allows.

This will not be my only vehicle, I have a 03 Mustang Daily Driver and a 89 f150 9" of lift and on 37's, And I just sold my 90 Dodge Ramcharger on 37's Yesterday :(

One thing im worried about would be the 6.2 in the cucv not having enough power to spin the tires to clean mud, Or how well they do in the soft rutted sand.

My ramcharger was stock gear and axles and couldn't do over 55mph also cause the tires would throw you off the road. and **** it couldn't spin the tires in sand lol, but it pulled anybody I hooked up to off and around the beach. Would a m1008 relate with the long wheel base and low power but make up for it in torque/gears?

Any opinions or views would be great. Or anybody close to Wilmington just wanna shoot the breeze on the northend one day lemme know! Or **** if you know something local I have about 3500$ to spend.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Shags!

I would suggest a CUCV for beach cruzin and extracting the tourists simply because operating the winch on a deuce is hard work! A warn winch on the front of a blazer or 1 ton pick up is way easier to handle and of course if you get yourself dug in, which would you rather dig out???

In my opinion Deuce trucks have some off-roading constraints which must be respected. Maybe bobbing them changes everything, I don't know about that.

Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy yourself and this fun group!

Rick

tnttnt187

Hey Shags, welcome from WV. I own m1009 and I can tell you the 6.2 is not going to pass much out on the hwy, but 4L will climb some hills. If you want 44s will will need to do some mod's. Keep checking these guys will have some good info for you and good luck! Tom

ecupirate

Welcome from Eastern NC, there is actually a guy in Wilmington who resales cucv's I see him when we go down to Carolina Beach with the Family. Coming from Carolina Beach Turn left at monkey junction and keep going down into town and the port area. His dealership in on the right. Don't know how his prices are I just know every time I have driven by there he has at least five trucks sitting out there. Welcome to the site, there is a wealth of information on here and very helpful people.

Docuscg

Hi Shags, I am new here too , but there is alot of good help in these pages. I'm in Wilmington also. On 4/01/2010 I will be picking up my M35A3 from Hodges, SC. I hope it's a good truck, planning on driving it back to Wilmington. Get up with me and you can look it over. wetsig@juno.com
See you around, Docuscg