• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a new ride seeking winch purchase advise

BigDawg41

New guy with a new ride seeking winch purchase advice

Hi guys. I just bought my first MV 2 weeks ago.:-DIt's a solid road ready M813 without a winch converted from a M817. I was talking to my neighbor today who is going to do some logging on my land.He saw my new truck and asked if it had a winch.Then he said 20 years ago he bought a winch from a guy and was told it was from a military truck and its been sitting in his barn since then.I went down to look at it and snapped some pictures.I think its off of a wrecker from the research I've done.One of the levers are broke off but he still has it.No cable and I dont see any mounts.He only wants what he paid for it which is $400.00.Is this a good price for just the winch?Are the rest of the parts easy to find? What else would I need?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a 5t winch off a 936 wrecker, it is missing the drive motor and mounting plates/lower mounting angles, You could make the mounts but you can not use the hyd. motor (if you find one) because it will not clear the lower cross member and radiator, you can pull the hyd. drive adaptor then run a drive shaft to your trans. pto which you may still have since your truck was a 5t dump.

If you have the pto, $400 is a great price, worth getting, then finding the rest of what is needed for the install, the level wind and tensioner are worth close to the 400 by themselves.

Last edited:

BigDawg41

So this winch is primarily hydraulically driven but can also be driven by a pto shaft? The pto is still on my truck. Would more pictures help? I didn't see any motor or other main parts missing,but I am new to these trucks and haven't seen any others close up to compare it to. I have alot to learn. Should I pick it up for now and worry about trying to mount it in the future or is it not worth my time and money? Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is the same winch that is used on ALL the 5Ts, only the 939 series had a adaptor for a hyd. drive motor. Pull the adaptor then you should be good to go, the only things you will need, will be the cheek plates, the lower mounting angles (you could make both of these ) and a 809 winch drive shaft.

For that price, get it now, then start collecting the other needed parts

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The level wind and tensioner are worth his asking price. I know of a guy here in Ohio that has a complete winch kit if you want to add a winch.

PM for info.

BigDawg41

Thanks for all the info guys. I wasn't really in the market to buy a winch just yet because I'm tapped after buying the truck. This just happened to fall into my lap and I wanted to know what it was and if this would work on my truck. I ran down and told my neighbor I wanted it for sure. He said he is in no hurry for the money and we may even work something out when he does the logging. He is a small two man logging crew and I may even use my truck to skid some logs to help him out so I can have some fun! :driver:

74M35A2

I'll give you $400 for the level wind and tensioner themselves (pulley/trolley on top and rollers within bracket on front), then you can have the winch for free to try.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it it's a great price.

In case you do decide to get it, here are the frame extensions and top and bottom L-brackets you need to mount the winch to the truck. I've included the part numbers if you need them. I've seen these turn on eBay from time to time.
SDC12335-2.jpgSDC12329-2.jpg

Also remember, you'll also need all the associated linkage and shift lever for the PTO.
73m819 also said get an M809 driveline. Yes, make sure it is in fact for the M809 truck. The M39 multi-fuel drivelines are approximately 6" shorter. The winch kit I bought was from a multi-fueler and I had to get my driveline retubed.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOS military 24 volt 18,0000 lb Warn winch with chain and cable , being as you are not to far from me I can give you a deal ! BTW is that one of Charlie 's MV's ? bob 100_1294.jpg

BigDawg41

I'd say it it's a great price.

In case you do decide to get it, here are the frame extensions and top and bottom L-brackets you need to mount the winch to the truck. I've included the part numbers if you need them. I've seen these turn on eBay from time to time.
View attachment 513219View attachment 513218

Also remember, you'll also need all the associated linkage and shift lever for the PTO.
73m819 also said get an M809 driveline. Yes, make sure it is in fact for the M809 truck. The M39 multi-fuel drivelines are approximately 6" shorter. The winch kit I bought was from a multi-fueler and I had to get my driveline retubed.
Thanks for the pictures and part #'s. I looked at the TM's but it's nice to see real pictures to get a better idea what to look for.

I have a NOS military 24 volt 18,0000 lb Warn winch with chain and cable , being as you are not to far from me I can give you a deal ! BTW is that one of Charlie 's MV's ? bob View attachment 513227

Thanks for the offer Bob,but I'm strapped for cash right now after buying the truck.I am in the process of insuring and registering it and also doing all the basic maintenance right now(oil change,air and fuel filters,lube,etc.)which adds up quick! I'm hoping no money has to change hands and I can work out a deal with my neighbor. Yes it was one of Charlies trucks.It was his latest one that he had to reassemble as it was last owned by a highway dept. and stripped for parts including the dump body.

BTW,one more question for all unrelated to the winch. Since it was originally a dumper,how many bed hold down clamps/brackets should there be down along each side to hold it to the frame? My truck has one toward the rear and the one up front with springs on the bolts,on each side.It doesn't seem like enough to me. I was told it has a bed from a duece. The frame was also extended at the rear to accommodate a bed as the dump frame is shorter.

Thanks to all,Scott.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes , that was one of his last trucks , without looking , I believe there should be a hold down in the middle , just a bracket with a nut and bolt . When you are ready the winch is here and waiting for a new home ! LOL Ya , it's just too bad but Charlie got to the point where it took him longer to get in his MV's then to drive them ! Was a Marine in Korea , then came out and went back into the Navy as a Seabee , did his 20 and then went to work for Cummins , he is a great guy with lots of diesel knowledge , I will miss him at the MV shows . Charlie was known as MR 5 ton ! Bob k

BigDawg41

Well,I'm finally getting ready to install the winch within the next few weeks.I made a trip to Vermont and got the brackets and a shaft from Evil Dr. Porkchop (thanks for everything Jon!). The brackets are primed and painted and cleaning the winch up at work.I think the shaft will work but it is missing the slip yoke end.Does anybody know the correct shaft length without the yoke on a M813 with cummins engine.My shaft is 75 inches.From searching I've done here on the forums a complete shaft length is 80 inches? I would like to know if it's the right shaft before I buy a slipyoke.If it is the right one,does anybody know where I could find one?

Attachments

BigDawg41

I started mounting the winch this past weekend. The frame extensions went on ok.When I went to mount the sideplates to the winch I ran in to a problem.There is a fill plug on the drivers side of the winch near the clutch handle that won't let the plate sit flush to the side of the winch(see photo with arrow pointing to the plug).Has anyone ran into this problem before? All the pictures I can find of winches there is no plug there at all.Looks like my options are to find a hex plug that sits flush or cut a hole through the plate.

Attachments

BigDawg41

I got the plug problem figured out. Found a thin hex plug that went in far enough and the plate sits flush. Hoisted the winch in place with help from the family.I Will have to wait awhile to save up for new winch cable and driveshaft parts. So for now I threw 100 ft of 1/2 cable and some chain on for display at shows. I Decided to go with a Seabees theme on the truck to honor my late grandfather who was a Seabee (10th NCB) in the pacific in WWII.

Attachments

BigDawg41

O.K. So the winch installation continues but ran into another problem I think. I found the Spicer yoke pieces and u-joint I needed to build the slip yoke end and put it together on the shaft. When I installed the shaft in the truck the other end that attaches on the winch input shaft with a shear pin seems like it has to much play. I tried the original coupler that was on it for the 900 series trucks with pumps and it slips on the winch shaft snug with no play.Has anyone else ever noticed this? Would installing the shear pin center and tighten the yoke up on the shaft? It seems to me like any play would allow the shear pin to wear over time and or break it.

Attachments

BigDawg41

I found a source for a new yoke and u-joint but don't want to order it just yet until I find out if it's normal or not.Anybody have their shaft out now and could check or recently installed one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks