• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a new ride seeking winch purchase advise

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch assembly part number, 7954486, comes back the same for both the M809 and M939-series trucks per their respective TM's. The hydraulic motor adapter input shaft sleeve inner diameter should match the yoke on the PTO shaft.

BigDawg41

Well my winch installation continues. I have a new question. I'm getting ready to buy winch cable. I know this winch takes 280 ft of 5/8 cable. What I would like to know has anyone upgraded their winch or is it possible to put 3/4" cable on it? I know I wont fit 280 ft on the spool because it's thicker and it will be heavier to pay out cable. Do you guys think it will run through the level winder properly? Searched the forums over an hour and didn't find anything. My neighbor who sold me the winch found a like new full spool of 3/4 cable in his barn and only wants $25.00 for it.

fasttruck

If your m817 was built without a winch, the single side drive pto may well face the rear of the truck where the hoist pump for the dump was. Winch built m817 had a very hard to find and expensive to buy double faced pto which ran the winch off the front and the hoist off the rear. Other m809s like the m816 had a separate pto for the front winch and the crane and winch on the back. What do you have ? PTO shaft is longer on a 809 to make up for the longer engine used in this series compared to the Mack or Continentals used in earlier trucks.

BigDawg41

If your m817 was built without a winch, the single side drive pto may well face the rear of the truck where the hoist pump for the dump was. Winch built m817 had a very hard to find and expensive to buy double faced pto which ran the winch off the front and the hoist off the rear. Other m809s like the m816 had a separate pto for the front winch and the crane and winch on the back. What do you have ? PTO shaft is longer on a 809 to make up for the longer engine used in this series compared to the Mack or Continentals used in earlier trucks.
I did not know that. My truck luckily still had the PTO on it when I got it. I guess it was a winch M817 truck because my PTO has front and rear outputs. I have the shaft and it should be good to go when I'm ready to start using the winch.

74M35A2

Well my winch installation continues. I have a new question. I'm getting ready to buy winch cable. I know this winch takes 280 ft of 5/8 cable. What I would like to know has anyone upgraded their winch or is it possible to put 3/4" cable on it? I know I wont fit 280 ft on the spool because it's thicker and it will be heavier to pay out cable. Do you guys think it will run through the level winder properly? Searched the forums over an hour and didn't find anything. My neighbor who sold me the winch found a like new full spool of 3/4 cable in his barn and only wants $25.00 for it.
On a 939 winch, they hold 200' of 5/8" without level wind, and 250' with level wind. I don't see a reason for 3/4", heavier and more difficult to handle, though a good buy. Tensile strength of of 5/8" should be way more than enough already. I have stalled my winch several times and never broke cable or thimble connection.

I added a level wind for looks, and hated how difficult it was to pay out cable. The top pulley is a tight 180 degree bend, so that becomes a bottleneck. I removed and sold it. I like to be able to pull it out freely with no brake tension, personal preference.

Top thin brace between halves is just for shipping, you could remove it to add more cable, but your pull capacity will drop as drum diameter goes up.

Apologies, my experience is only with 939 hydro winches.

BigDawg41

I know the rear wrecker winch uses 3/4" cable but the TM's say the level winder and tensioner are different part #'s from the front. Probably due to the larger cable? I don't intend to use my winch much. I was just wondering if putting 3/4 cable on the front can be done because I can get it cheap. I don't know if it will make that tight turn over the trolley pulley then through the tensioner. I guess I could get the cable and try it and let everyone know how it turns out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks