• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy With Idea

jmcclure

I've been a lurker on this site for some time now.

I train military special teams off highway driving, recovery and field expedient repair. The SF teams use mostly non-standard trucks, with some 1151 and 1152 HMVEE's, but I've always liked this site being a bit of a "truck geek".

Anyway - I've recently been exploring the idea of starting a "mobile retail" business and got the crazy idea of using something like an M109A3 or 4 variant for the mobile "store". I've been searching and reading some opinions here about using these trucks for commercial purposes and it seems like that's not a popular idea and I can certainly see why. My business wouldn't "ask" THAT much out of the truck other than to carry product and be parked for long periods of time during the day. I wouldn't be using it for long hauls or commutes - she'd just have to travel to a spot to set up shop in local towns and locations and look **** cool!

A lot of people that run "mobile retail" businesses use bread vans or some other box van/truck but I just think a Deuce & 1/2 would be a **** of a lot more appealing and attract more attention.

So - do you think I'd still be asking too much out of a truck like this? Like I said - she wouldn't have to carry heavy loads or travel 100's of miles every weak...

Thanks for a great site and I hope to get some good opinions!

jmcclure

That's pretty cool!

I'd be using one everyday as a mobile retail store. Selling "guy-stuff": gadgets, soooooome clothing, packs, ect..some girl stuff too.

BrushMaster Builder

I think it would be "recycling" in its best form.....we use military chassis for everything from fire trucks to concrete mixers and water tankers that we build for our customers. With some comfort modifications like custom air ride seats, air conditioning, upgraded heaters, stereo, etc. our customers don't ever want to get out of the cab.
Great idea....I would recommend a A3 2.5 ton if I were you. With the Cat 3116 and the Allison automatic, if you had engine/trans trouble away from home, any truck dealership could help get you going. Also, the automatic makes the highway and in town driving a little nicer.

welldigger

I think it would be "recycling" in its best form.....we use military chassis for everything from fire trucks to concrete mixers and water tankers that we build for our customers. With some comfort modifications like custom air ride seats, air conditioning, upgraded heaters, stereo, etc. our customers don't ever want to get out of the cab.
Great idea....I would recommend a A3 2.5 ton if I were you. With the Cat 3116 and the Allison automatic, if you had engine/trans trouble away from home, any truck dealership could help get you going. Also, the automatic makes the highway and in town driving a little nicer.
That would be an m109a4.

As to the o.p. I like the idea. There are plenty of folks who use former mv's for commercial purposes. Many of them are much more severe duty than parking and opening the doors.

There's no question an old mv would attract attention to your business.

Last edited:

jmcclure

Thanks for the replies!

I think in kit would work. One of my concerns is the box size. I could install an awning for some protected space outside but what are the interior dimensions of the shop van?

TaylorTradingCo

I don't know how much room you need, but you might want to look into a 5-ton with the expandable van body on it. It is 17' long and opens out to 14' wide if you need, or you can leave it the standard 8' wide.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also get an auto transmission with the 5 ton. There's plenty of 'cool factor' with the M934/M935 trucks.

quickfarms

There is one company around here that uses an old beverage truck for retail. They just park and roll up the sides and they are setup.

How about a 5 ton shop van. If you used the clam shell type you could leave you displays set up.

rustystud

So the 5 ton is the only variant with expandable van body?
AS far as I seen it is. They didn't have this body when I was in the Corp in the 80's . I like your idea though of a mobile shop. When I was 13, our TD6 dozer broke it's stabilizer bar underneath the dozer. My father called in a guy who had a complete shop in his military truck. I still remember how cool that was !!! He was able to fix almost anything out of that truck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used my deuce over a period of years for log cabin deliveries and on the construction site. I loved it, but always got the impression that the customer rather see a sleek modern delivery vehicle, which was more or less "transparent" and not a distraction.

Hainebd

How far north would you go? I could do NE or TX neck of the woods. This is a great idea but to market yourself you should pull a trailer with the goodies in that way you can use your skills and wisdom to help us off-road. Hit the rallies and off-road parks along with prep- pers meets. County fairs. Races diesel truck pulls and drags. You have a blast. Will not make much money. But you would have a blast. Go for it. Start small and have fun.

rustystud

Used my deuce over a period of years for log cabin deliveries and on the construction site. I loved it, but always got the impression that the customer rather see a sleek modern delivery vehicle, which was more or less "transparent" and not a distraction.
I gotta say, that truck of yours is awesome cool !! To bad your not my neighbor, I could use your help on a number of projects ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks