• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with M1008 from Eastern Long Island, NY

MtkNoob

Hello to all and big Thanks already for the huge amount of useful information here. The creators, moderators, and users of this site provide a great service and community! I purchased my M1008 about one month ago, and she is my first MV and first Diesel. I have been lurking on the site since then, and I've read a lot of threads and downloaded and read a fair amount in the TMs. I do not have much of a mechanical background, but I'm usually fairly good at reading and following instructions, especially when accompanied by helpful pictures.

Because my truck has been converted to 12V (not Roscommon method, and I'm going to try to correct that in the future), I have not done the Doghead ignition circuit modification. My understanding is that this is unnecessary with a 12V system.

With the help of numerous threads and the TMs, I have successfully swapped my GPs with new AC60Gs (only 3 of the old Autolite 1110s were functional, and 3 others had some degree of swelling but were able to be pulled without breaking). I also snipped and changed the GP wire connectors to new 1/4" crimp connectors and replaced my failed GP relay (the old one had shaken itself to the point that 2 or 3 of the terminals were swinging loose in the body of the relay) with BWD part# S603. Finally, I installed a new GP controller card from Antennaclimber. Following these changes, the M1008 has been firing up reliably and quickly.

Since this is my first post, I'm using the opportunity to try to post a picture of my M1008, Fifi. The PO applied her decidedly unmilitary two-tone bedliner paint scheme, which is slowly growing on me. Who knows when and if I'll have the time, money, and urge all at the same time to change it?

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the insanity !! IMHO , I think a CUCV is a great entrance vehicle to the Military Vehicle hobby . Parts and pieces are readily available . They do have there issues , but so does my M37 , so go for it and have fun !!!! We have a few CUCV members in our club and I would also suggest that you try to contact your local MVPA affiliate , they will be a big help with your purchase " The old been there done that " You just missed the National's in Louisville KY , it was a great show . I would also add that for you REDBALL at Gilbert PA in the fall is a MUST ATTEND . I have seen some good CUCV parts there . good luck !!:tank:

MtkNoob

Thanks for the Welcomes, Warthog and rtg. If I may ask, what are your (or anyone else's who may read this) opinions on starting a new thread vs adding to/resurrecting an old (started by someone else) similar thread with a related question/issue in the CUCV forum? I believe I have read conflicting advice.

rtg - I believe I have read some threads in which you described your background with the NYS DMV... I may have some questions for you in the near future regarding downstate NYS metro area diesel inspection rules and/or historical plate registration, if you might be kind enough to take the time. Thank you for the information I have already gleaned from your earlier posts.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me and I will give you the secret story , just don't tell anybody ! LOL Bob k