• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with Questions

RandyinTexas

Hi YALL,
I have tons of questions and didnt have time to read all the old threads. I need to make a decision quick before this sells.
I found this for sale the other day and fellin love with it.

1966 KAISER JEEP MILITARY TRUCK 6 X 6, M185A3, 2 1/2 TON., 6 CYL
1.One of the dash plates sais "multil fuel turbo" does that mean it can actually run on gasoline and or deisel?
2 The brakes are out, none, I have no idea what that would cost to get repaired.
3 The turn signals and brake lights don't work, that may be a simple fix.

It starts right up and sounds awsome, I couldn't drive it but back and forth in the mans yard because no brakes, 5 spd H/L the tires all appear good, no dry rot, and the motor appeared clean, as in not a greasy mess.
The guy is asking $1700.00 does that sound about right? I can't pull something like this up on NADA.
Here are some pics I took today..... any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Randy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/thecatfishboat/kayaking/ar1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/thecatfishboat/kayaking/ar3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/thecatfishboat/kayaking/ar2.jpg

cruz

depending on what is wrong with the brakes it sounds like a fair price, with the lights did you have them turned on, it may sound silly, but you actually have to turn on the brake, and turn signal lights,

as for the multifuel, I have really only used diesel in my deuce, but have read of people using old motor oil, and a mix of gas and oil, but you would want to avoid straight gas

RandyinTexas

I know nothing about these and the owner knew very little, the light switch seemed to have 3 levers and had to be in a certain postions to get the headlights to come on.

There was some rust but not bad at all. (sounds like I am trying to justify it to myself)

The clutch felt good, I just wish I could have gotten it up to 55 to see how it does.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks OK. The body's good for camping and you know you can put a waterbed in there for the many women that will be instantly attracted to you now that you are the owner of such a fine piece of equipment. I'm sure those gals are out there somewhere, cause they sure are not around here! Sometimes on those van bodies they leak due to rust or damage at the top seams and the wood inside the walls rots causing rust, and this also rots/rusts out the metal floor beneath the planking.

For the price, it's alot of truck for a little money.

You could check the brake fluid, maybe it is so low the brakes won't work, but not so low you can't add some and get them back enough for local maneuvering (not suggesting to risk the road). To see if it has DOT3 or DOT5 fluid, syringe some out and put in test tube with 1/4 amount of water. The 5 will not mix with the water when shaken. Do not add the wrong kind or you will regret it. But anyway the brakes mechanisms inside the wheels above all else need inspection before you drive it on the road. The parking brake won't stop the truck safely at all.

When inspecting the brakes, you will likely benefit by:
repacking the brearings
replacing the wheel seals
Check the front boots for holes or tears, and also check to put new grease in them (goes in top, comes out bottom, about 2 lbs of it).

Go to the TM section and download all the manuals for maintenance, and they will giude you to do all this the right way safely and usually easily (except for the heavy weights involved) have a nice project to do this winter!

change all filters:
two oil
one primary fuel
two secondary fuel
check the air filter, blow it out with compressed air if it is not too dirty
The filters boots and the like can be ordered from any of several vendors.

The original oil filters are barely adequate. Spin-on oil filter adapter kits are available from a couple members (who are so smart they know how to make them), and also there are other niceties like a coolant filter, and maybe adapters for spin-on primary fuel filter. Check the member "odiron.com" website, he has some of this stuff.

what was the cold oil pressure?
what was the warm oil presure?
what did the engine warm up to?
what was the air pressure?
did the low air warning buzzer sound till 60PSI was reached?
was the alternator meter in the green zone (27.5V)?
any knocking? (engine is making all kinds of cool noises anyway)
Check the connector behind the turn signal lever. If it loosens/unscrews, then the plug can come out far enough that the signals won't work.

what else..
set all tires to 45-50PSI equally.
a super clean engine is a bit suspicious on these.. they usually are a bit messy.
check the torque or at least the tightness on all lug nuts before moving that thing..

tell us more!!
air shift axle (a sideways lever and a light in a plate under the dash)?
how many hours?
how many miles?
does the body still have the 24V and 120V electrical boxes, vent blower, maybe a heater?

see, I am envious because I wanted an M109 (like the one he has except what, guys?) but I found a good deal on a guiaranteed ready to drive M35 with an S-280 shelter. My ATV won't pass through the shelter door, but it would on an M109 body. And some came with lift gate. :drool: I swear I'd trade my radio truck even for one with a body of that type and a original lift gate. well. maybe sans some of the radios.. and I have gotten used to the wondrous air-o-matic power steering.

The board is chock full of mechanical wizards. If you have electrical issues, there are several experts here on that too. Hot rodding.. that's another matter for later.

oh yeah, welcome to the BBS and good choice of truck..

dabtl

You may as well go ahead and buy it. You will spend many happy hours working on it anyway. You will also spend some hours cussing it.

Life is an adventure. Take a chance now and again.

mbwarner

Welcome, Randy.

looks like there's enough yard there to move the truck back and forth 20 feet to be sure all gears and ranges engage. If so, I'd jump on it. It's worth that as a parts truck.

OPcom, he's in Texas fer cryin' out loud. Those kind of women are thick as fleas down there (or so I've been told). :grin:

dburt

It's been covered but the brakes just probably need bled. The light switch is easy to figure out, hold the bottom right switch in the up position (it's spring loaded) while you push the top lever to the right (clockwise) two notches, that should turn on your headlights and taillights on. The price sure is right- go for it!

bigtoyman

Looks like nothing but trouble guy. Skinless knuckles, perpetual diesel odor, eye rolls from relatives and friends, and your wife or SO will have you sleep in it, alone.
Fortunately I have a big heart, and in the Christmas spirit I will (out of concern for my fellow texan) happily remove this awful temptation if you will just give me his number...........

bigtoyman

However, if you choose to be smelly and celibate with persistantly scabbed knuckles you will probably find that the problems you've noted can be easily fixed with with a little research into the tms and some simple exploring. Once you figure out that you really can fix some of these things then you are really screwed....and there are no 10 step programs available....

deess

its really your call, i paid 1240.00 for mine on gl in march.drove it home from sanantonio.every thing works good on my truck.what i always try to look at is how much will it cost to fix whats wrong compared to getting one from gl including the cost of retreiving it.of course if you dont go check out the truck you dont know what your getting all the time either.i was told they are not oing to sell them out of sanantonio anymore,that they was gonna ship them to oklafor auction.if this is true you might be able to get one from texarkana.take some time think it over,remember you cant just chain these to your pick up and drag them home they weigh 15000 lbs.i know my troop carrier has no brakes and being the geniuse i am i rear ended my 04 cummins 3 times in one night.what a mess.was weird explaining to my insurance i hit my truck with my truck. i love mine.what ever you do just get one because they are fun for the whole family.pm me if you want my help with retreival or more of my real men of genuise stories.i drove mine from crosby to alto then back through crocket to huntsville for thanksging it was fun . goodluck Shane

deess

almost forgot did the whole alto trip (380miles) on straight used hydraulic fluid have also ran straight used motor oil have also mixed these two with diesel and cooking oil.heard gas works but dont like it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After reading the posts in this thread, I think you should show up with 1700. Keep 200 in a different pocket and see if 1500 will get the rig. M109s are GREAT trucks to own. The boys here(on this site) can help trouble shoot any issues you may have. I spent 2400 on mine, if its any comparison, from a private owner. If it does NOT have a title, its not as much of a deal, but still worth looking into. Let us know what happens.

SasquatchSanta

FIRST --- Welcome to SS RandyinTexas.

Buy it --- you'll like it. If you don't --- there's always a market for M109s. Go for it :-D

SECOND --- Thank you OPCOM for that excellent post! To my way of thinking this is what SS should be all about. I know that RandyinTexas qualified his question by stating that he didn't have time to read through all the old threads but frankly I'm getting damned tired of the 4-star troll/s that have lately been making a game out of telling all the newbs to search. Search is good and necessary but the righteousness has gotten out of hand. If some of the older members like myself are starting to get put off with it think how the newbes feel. When I first started reading this thread I thought, "oh boy --- here we go again --- in ten seconds the search nazis will show up and Randy wll be sent packing. Thanks again for your post :-D.

Also as far as women who are attracted to trucks --- come on up here and I'll introduce you to the Bling Bling Sisters

joec

search NAZI'S.. I spit my coffee all over my pc monitor when read that..:beer:..In the whole time registered here SasquatchSanta That is the best yet..!!

FIRST --- Welcome to SS RandyinTexas.

Buy it --- you'll like it. If you don't --- there's always a market for M109s. Go for it :-D

SECOND --- Thank you OPCOM for that excellent post! To my way of thinking this is what SS should be all about. I know that RandyinTexas qualified his question by stating that he didn't have time to read through all the old threads but frankly I'm getting damned tired of the 4-star troll/s that have lately been making a game out of telling all the newbs to search. Search is good and necessary but the righteousness has gotten out of hand. If some of the older members like myself are starting to get put off with it think how the newbes feel. When I first started reading this thread I thought, "oh boy --- here we go again --- in ten seconds the search nazis will show up and Randy wll be sent packing. Thanks again for your post :-D.

Also as far as women who are attracted to trucks --- come on up here and I'll introduce you to the Bling Bling Sisters

deess

i must agree being a newby myself i have came across this problem.stuff like do a search or if you just scroll to the bottom of the page you would have seen the answer to your question.these remarks are sometimes degrading and make one feel stupid especially if one did search first then asked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks