• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy

Hello brothers,

I am seriously considering purchase of a Kaiser 1969 M35. I will soon look at the truck I hope. Is there anything special I should look at.
I am retired and this is my first MV
I have been a mechanic for the last three decades but not in this field. I am told that no mods have been made at any time and the current owner says everything is OK. What should I be looking for?
I am a Nam vet, drove tractor trailer pulling mostly munitions. So I am somewhat familiar with the drive train Just looking for advice.

Bob C

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Options and condition.

In terms of options, if you want all the "cool guy" stuff like winches, dropside beds, heaters, etc., it's better off to just buy a truck with all of that versus buying a stripper and adding it.

In terms of condition, there is damage, corrosion and driveability. Good brakes, good oil pressure, no funny noises, quiet transmission and transmission that don't pop out of gear, shift smoothly, etc. A good record of maintenance is a plus but uncommon due to most people's spotty record keeping. All lights working, gauges, etc.

Corrosion is a significant issue to deal with. Cabs rust out in the rocker panels and at the cowl on top. Doors rust out on the bottom and beds can rust out in the cross braces underneath and at the front where it's welded together.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 1968 M35A2 last year.

The truck was complete, fired right up, came with a bunch of spare parts and materials. I drove it 65 miles home without mechanical failure, and it didn't smoke!
004_insurance_left side.jpg

BUT... it needed 11 replacement tires due to side-wall cuts and chunks of tread missing, the brakes were out of adjustment (not expensive, but very labor-intensive to correct), the wiring has many defects, the fuel tank had about three cups of rust (measured) swishing around inside, the primary fuel filter was also half-full of rust, the batteries had to be replaced, the cab top was starting to wear through at the bows, and I recently found that the right inner axle seal in the front axle was bouncing around on the shaft due to not being properly pressed into it's seat, and the grease for the knuckle U-joint was packed all the way into the axle tube on both sides which contaminated the gear oil.

Remember these are 45-year-old trucks so no matter what you're told about the one you are considering, keep in mind it won't be nearly as good-to-go as it might seem.

Lastly, do not trust the fuel gage. If the truck doesn't have a stick to dip in and check the level, get one. The tank shouldn't be lower than 1/3 full due to the in-tank lift pump suction being a couple inches above the bottom, so it can suck air at a fast stop or going up a steep hill. I keep mine above 1/2 full always.

These things are a BLAST to drive, so good luck!

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Lastly, do not trust the fuel gage. If the truck doesn't have a stick to dip in and check the level, get one. The tank shouldn't be lower than 1/3 full due to the in-tank lift pump suction being a couple inches above the bottom, so it can suck air at a fast stop or going up a steep hill. I keep mine above 1/2 full always.
Never trust a military fuel gauge. I made that mistake once in Iraq, thankfully it was on the FOB.

In terms of condition, there is damage, corrosion and driveability. Good brakes, good oil pressure, no funny noises, quiet transmission and transmission that don't pop out of gear, shift smoothly, etc.
Test all the gears in the transmission, especially 5th.

Hey guy's,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Keep it coming please. I have a 67 Chevelle SS so I realize there will be problems. Is there anyone in SE Michigan area?
Thanks again

Bob C

Dhallftworth

Welcome Bob. I'm a new deuce owner, and everyone here has been very helpful and friendly. There's a member map section, you can add yourself and look for others around you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

Sounds like you have the skill set. The parts are basically the same only bigger and heavier.

The Deuce is a great starting point for the MV madness. You will not be able to stop at just one. ;-)

Read the attached document. It helps explain many things.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

You WILL be in "love" all over again..and you can spend many occupying and (satisfying) hours in taking care of the routine maintenance. And driving to events is a real age preventer..(or a buzz and a half).Collect the tms. or read through from S.S.Site libraries. Its addictive..be carefull..I started with a Harley in 195? and now seem to have "accumalated", errr..a "couple" or...more..than..2!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks