• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy

JUNKYARDJOHN

Newbie to the M.V. world & diesels in general (never owned either) & not exactly computer litterate, so bear with as I try to feel my way around this site. :wink: Bought a M1009 about six months ago, & was going to change all the fluids..... well... one thing lead to another & I'm still doing stuff to it. Yeh... I'm hooked. I'm not exactly a cherry about trucks, as I've been building 67-72 chevy trucks since 85. The mechanical stuff isn't a big problem, but electrical stuff was never my strong suit. I bought 2 6.2 takeouts from G.L. just so i could get inside em learn a little about how they work.:roll: I'm more of a grease under the fingernail kinda guy, & can only learn so much from printed mtl. Here's a few pic.s of my ongoing,neverending money pit. (can't wait to finish it so i can get a M10088) ) Thanks in advance cause I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. John (Can't post picks.... I'll try tomorrow)

OLDCHEV4X4

Welcome JYJohn from S.E. PA.
My roots are also in the 67-72 chevy trucks. Got my first 69 C-10 in 1980 and been going at it ever since. I switched to Army trucks cause they are COOL, and because there dosent seem to be many 67-72 chevys in the junk yard any more.:sad:

Looks like your oh-9 is ready for some trail duty. Nice job.

JUNKYARDJOHN

THANKS... I lived in Carson City Nevada for 12 years prior to moving back here 5 years ago. (lotsa rust-free sheetmetal) So I've come to hate woking on prodjects that have that brown stuff eating away at them. This truck had the lift & big tires when i got it, so I had to make a step for it or else use a milk crate on a sting to get in it, ;-) as my butt is pretty close to the sidewalk. Next prodject will be a M1008 so iI can swap axels with this tall turd. John

JUNKYARDJOHN

Hey junkyard,
I lived in Fallon 01-03.....nice truck. Like the steps...did you fab them yourself?
I used to duck hunt in Fallon quite a bit. Small world. Yea I made them up. A little bit of overkill (it seems like everthing I make up) but it will definatly not be scaped off on a big rock. :idea: (When in doubt.. build it stout??) This thing will be my daily driver when I finally get it done. ;) John

Last edited:

jimmy-90

WOW that's quite an M1009!!! Are those traction bars under the rear end? Also I cant really tell from the pic but did you cut the bed out and put something elese in there and do you plan to add more to the B-pillar cage or tie race seats and harnesses into it? Gotta say that truck looks pretty close to being ready to compete in super stock or a similar sportsman class.

JUNKYARDJOHN

WOW that's quite an M1009!!! Are those traction bars under the rear end? Also I cant really tell from the pic but did you cut the bed out and put something elese in there and do you plan to add more to the B-pillar cage or tie race seats and harnesses into it? Gotta say that truck looks pretty close to being ready to compete in super stock or a similar sportsman class.
Those are strut type bars going from the frame (in the middle of the truck) going to the rear axel. I just used 1 3/4 crs tubing (3/16 thick sidewall) & welded a plug in them & drilled & tapped 1/2-20 holes in each end for a heim joint (left hand thread on one end & right hand on the other). I'm hoping to prevent any axel wrap or deflection. this truck has a 6" lift with blocks in the rear, & I just didn't think it looked stout enough with those big tires. I realize that something has to give under torque, but didn't like the idea of those wimpy looking u-bolts holding in the axel being the obvios weak link. I took the bench seat out, welded plates over the attaching holes, painted it with 2 coats of p.o.r. & one coat of rustolium & put a 1" thick rubber mat ($39 at tractor supply) down over the bed. ;-) I shot the bedsides with rubberized undercoating. (3-m shuets undercoating at around $14 a quart) thanks for the kind words..I'll eventually put 5 point harnesses off of the roll bar as cash allows. I've had trucks upside down & don't like it at all. I'm just getting this squared away to be my daily driver. John

Last edited: