• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Halftrack project!

battlecr

Well guess it's time to fess up. I feel into deal on another halftrack. After the boss saw the pictures and the price she said "well you better buy it" Whoa, guess I better keep her :clinto: So I've named my new

halftrack "Kathleen"

I'll post some more pictures after she hits the home 20!

Don G.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice project. What is going on with the rear of it? Where is the hole for the pintle hitch?

turnkey

Nice find the wife that is...the halftrack is in good shape also....This one is open for all kinds of fun stuff to do to it.....Have fun.

battlecr

Yes Andy it was about 3 hours north of me. I'm getting it shipped down for about what it would cost me in diesel to go get it. NDT. The rear cross member was replaced at some point. Will have modify it to put in the pintle hitch would go. It also needs a floor, z channel and various other items, but still really complete. I'm a lot further ahead then my last one.

Don G.

dmetalmiki

So good to see another veteren vehicle getting the treatment, I used to have an M9A1 but boy was it expensive on tracks, especially on pavement. Took me 3 years to rebuild it.

Jeepsinker

Do the tracks really wear that quickly on these things? There are a couple near me that have been sitting in the woods for 20 - 30 years that I can probably have if I just get them off the property, but I can't afford to own one if I can't afford to keep tracks on it.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Do the tracks really wear that quickly on these things? There are a couple near me that have been sitting in the woods for 20 - 30 years that I can probably have if I just get them off the property, but I can't afford to own one if I can't afford to keep tracks on it.
The quote I was given some years ago when I was researching a then-available IHC M17 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, is roughly 3,000 road miles, no load, per set. However, there are some pretty wildly divergent results from various sources out there. Here is an interesting thread on the subject, with a broad variance in track longevity expectations:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=226677

battlecr

The US Army figured 700 miles combat loaded. I've got a about 100 miles on my tracks on my M3 can't even tell there is any wear. The new tracks being manufactured in Europe seem to be wearing fine. Hopefully we will be seeing US made tracks in the near future. The prices on tracks are reasonable. The days of 1200$ tracks are gone forever. But we have tracks available to buy so that's a good thing!

Don G.

Major Asstyrd

Don, thanks to you and others we boasted seven halftracks at the Camp Delta meet at Tower Park last April. Most we've ever seen by several. So we set a goal to have ten at the 2016 MVPA Convention. I expect it will be difficult to get all your equipment to that show, but I'm getting the feeling we ought to raise our sights to 15. What do you think? Not trying to hijack the thread but when I hear of another one being saved it makes me wonder how many are within range of Pleasanton, CA. Have you or Steve ever polled the members of any of these forums?

battlecr

I know of a few restorations in progress that might be done by then. Allot depends on the trucking costs on getting mine down there. I know Steve is working on it!

Don G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks