• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new here, 1009 has bad crank, need new motor or rebuild

REGULATOR

Just bought a 1984 1009, the motor turned over but wouldn't start, well looks liek the cranshaft is bad after inspection with the oil pan removed.

So do I attempt to buy a 6.2 on GL ( not knowing what exactly shape its in)
seen plenty for sale in Ohio,

Or do I shell out the bucks for a rebuilt or tested motor?

Diesel Fixers 6.2 and 6.5 engines has some motors and is in TN

I'm in Augusta GA, and I either need to fix this in the next month, or let it sit for 6 months while I am deployed.

any suggestions?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have spun bearings or a cracked crank? If the crank is cracked or split, it may have done some main web damage. GL is a crapshoot. It might be worth it for one to buy that tested used $895 motor. They take all the risk out of it for you!

REGULATOR

yeah I was thinking GL could be hit or miss, maybe gold, maybe lead.

I did not spend hardly anything to buy this truck ( obviosuly with a potentially blown motor)

so I can get a rebuilt, or tested motor and still be within budget.

has anyone purchased a used motor?

wondering if its just worth it to go ahead and by a rebuilt one for 1500 and know that its good for a while.

new motor and some tires and I'm good 'cept lots of cleaning.

Last edited:

REGULATOR

right, figured I'll have plenty of other things to fix later

might as well start out with a proffessional built engine , the rest of the stuff I can work on in the driveway ( no real garage to pull it into at the house)

REGULATOR

drove to Charlote and back, retieved the motor and dropped it off at the mechanics..

hopefully have a running truck soon!!!

Oh and I will probably have some leftover parts, intake manifold, basically almost an entire engine minus a crankshaft ;-)

REGULATOR

the mechanic seemed to think that it was still good, that I could buy a crank and rebuild the lower end...

BUT for the amount that woudl have cost, and payign somebody to pull the motor out etc, easier and quicker to swap in another motor.

I may attempt to rebuild this motor, and maybe build it up for a turbo install if I get really crazy...

I can't have a non runnign vehicle in my driveway ( not enought space) and not much room in my garage , although I could squeeze in an engine stand in the corner etc.. just not enough for a whole project vehicle.

If I had the room I would have rented/bought an engine hoist and done the whole swap myself.