• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here from central Florida

V8srfun

Hi my name is Andrew and I have been spending a lot of time on the forum lately trying to learn as much as I can about the m35a2 multi fuel.

I do not own a deuce yet but I do want one and want to be reasonably informed about them before I do end up purchasing one. To me a big part of the appeal is the multi fuel capability being that I am a automotive technician and have basically a unlimited supply of waste oil. But then again from what I am studying the process for making waste oil run safely and efficiently in the engine is quite time consuming and labor intensive. if and or when I end up getting a deuce I would like to drive it regularly and I am trying to decide if it will fit my expectations. Before I started to study these trucks I had the impression that they were basically indestructible and could take some abuse but my assumptions seem to be incorrect. Unless I am misinterpreting what I am reading it seems that they are actually high maintenance and are not really practical for a high use vehicle.

I am ok with the warm up and cool down before and after running the truck and I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. The things that concern me mainly revolve around the service life of the trucks major components. It seems to me that many people are saying that the multi fuel engine has a short life expectancy and fuel system issues seem to be quite common from what I am studying. Someone please tell me I am misinterpreting the material that I am reading because I really want a deuce but am kinda getting scared away from I am reading.

ageregunner

First, welcome to our hobby from PA. I have a 1971 AM General M35A2 and I love that truck to death! It is a heavy duty vehicle, but like all things mechanical it should not be abused and beaten. In my opinion, with proper maintenance and level headed operation, the deuce is a very reliable truck. I would not want it to be my day to day driver, but for a hobby truck it cannot be beat. If you follow the maintenance guidelines in the TMs, you will be fine. If they were not great trucks, the military would not have kept them for as long as they did. Some are still in military use.

RayK

Welcome from Georgia! I've got a couple of deuces - M35A2 and M49A2C they do take a little work, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Rmtaunton

Sadly most things you read on this is people with problems asking advice on how to fix this or that which is one of the reasons we are here but the vast majority are driving there deuces all the time, I know I am :)

V8srfun

Does any one have some suggestions for a affordable centrifuge and some reputable places to learn about preparing waste oil for use as fuel.

jbayer

Welcome from N.E.FL.
Remember also, they're 40 year old trucks. A lot depends on how well they've been mantained, and how well you maintain it.
New, I think they were pretty indestructable.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! :) I live in the Central Florida area. I added you to my Central Florida Events Mailing List so you can find out about the fun events we have happening around here. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114068-Central-Florida-Events-Mailing-List&highlight=

I'm posting this document about Deuces to give you more information, not to deter you from purchasing one. Knowledge is power. You and you alone know what is right for you.

View attachment So you want to buy a Deuce (final).doc

71DeuceAK

I'm in the exact same position as you! In fact we have the same name as well.

I have a potential project 1971 Deuce that could come my way next June. A friend is trying to get rid of it and nobody wants it...so I may end up having it given to me. The whole story can be read in this same board.

Same here, the multi fuel is appealing. I'm probably doing it all wrong as this may be my first only, daily driver vehicle but it's just one of those weird stories LOL.

V8srfun

I still really want a deuce and will be getting one as soon as I can get rid of my 84 anniversary edition 300zx. All of my above concerns I have dealt with and now my only real concern is will I be able to drive it as much as I would like to as I know my work is not going to like me parking it on there lot. The parking situation at my job is already horrible and I do not think they are going to take to kindly to a fairly large truck taking up all that space. Being that I have a unlimited amount of wmo and some availability to used atf I do not think that I will ever have to pay for fuel.

71DeuceAK

Yeah for me it's wondering if the university will let me buy a parking slip for a deuce or 5 ton! Wow, a 5 ton as a daily driver? That's pretty neat!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks