• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new here looking at m37

heavyp36

Hey im new to the game going to look at a 63 m37 on friday i took a quick look the other night but was kind of in a rush it looks to be all there the guy said it ran about 15 years ago when he parked it . It still has 24 volt system is there anything in particular i should look at ? Thanks

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site from Washington!

in answer to your question, there are quite a few things you should look at and evaluate.

You need to know what you plan to do with the truck. Are you going to keep it stock? Do you plan on "hot-rodding" it (modern truck on old frame with old body)?

The body pieces are the hardest parts to get, so pay especial attention to rust and missing parts. The front fenders seem to be prone to rot under the headlights and the rear corners of the cab tub are also especially vulnerable to rust.

Btw, a standing joke with these old trucks is "ran when parked".

Also, take lots and lots of pictures. We are very visual on this site.

Go over to the G741 website. They are exclusively dedicated to M37's. Lots of help and knowledge over there.

Good Luck with your project!

heavyp36

I just want something cool that runs that i can take to the grocery store a few miles away and have a lil fun in the woods and want to keep it as stock as i can ........so prettty much a stock ride

Last edited:

turnkey

Welcome from Ill......Ya lots of pics and look at the TM on line for trip checkout list....I would make a copy of it and take it with you as this guide is a pre-trip inspection list of stuff to look for....I like the line of (Was driven then parked) part.......Post back on line and the SS guys here can give you a look and see stuff...lots of pics...again welcome.

dmetalmiki

Welcome. And do try to carry a thorough inspection of the "things" that make it run as well. Wires plug leads, carburetor lines etc. Inspect all you can while taking pictures, post here and let some of the wiser members help you with suggestions. Good luck in your task, It will be rewarding and an enlightening accomplishment for you.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M-37 is a terrific little truck but your words NIGHT, RUSHED and QUICK LOOK are NOT conducive to make a good buy on a truck! In the daylight take lots of pictures and post them here so we can take a look at the situation and help you with it, your also going to HAVE TO OPEN THE HOOD (YES) and look to make sure all the pieces are still there, you know little things like carb, distributor, plugs and air cleaner and make sure the engine is loose and not locked up, everything that the folks on this site have told you are very true and your going to want to listen! Good luck the M-37 is the best starter truck out there and you will learn a whole lot if your not careful.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing pics
Karl

SteveKuhn

Offhand, I don't know and can't quickly find that, but I'd suggest that you bring along as many wrenches, screwdrivers, and tools of as many types as you can - - not just one or two. You'll need a few of them to go over the truck. Have relevant manual pages and lots of photos to compare for missing parts.

Old and new give a good cross section of info:
TM9-1840A_engine_clutch
TM9-2320-212-10_M37series_operators_manual
TM9-2320-212-20_M37_M43_M201_manuals
TM9-2520-232-35_M37series__transmission_manual
TM9-8030_M37series_operator_manual
TM9-8031-2_M37_power_train

Pull all the fluid caps and check for burn or milkshakes or weird looking or smelling lube. Dollars to donuts the gas tank will be rusty inside and the brake lines shot throughout. Plug wires need to be snug in the fittings at both ends. Electrical wires will likely be brittle. Check for burn marks from shorting throughout.

I just sold mine because the Deuce demands my time and I wasn't giving it the attention she needed. Make a ballpark guess of $1500 - 2K baseline for needed-for-driving parts in the near future to advise your budget, and add in any labor time you might have to hire out. That will give you some idea of expense.

If you haven't downloaded the manuals yet, do so without delay because you'll need them for visual inspection and answering questions like '...what size wrench...' Get to know vintagepowerwagons.com, midwestmilitary.net, and battlewagons vendor on Ebay. Those are good parts sources. If you haven't signed up on G741.org yet, you're late.

M37s are wonderful. I'm sorry I overextended myself and had to move mine along.

Best,

Steve

GUNNY 155

If you do buy it and once you start working on it (even if you have manuals) take lots of pictures as you take things apart it can be a big help in the long run when you start putting things back together.

SturmTyger380

Buy lots of small to medium bags. When you take something off, bag it and write what it is and where it came from in permanent marker.

Two weeks later if you don't you will be scratching your head as to what these bolts and nuts go to. Alan

Elwood1968

The ziploc bags are great for smaller parts. The small plastic pill bottles are good for the little stuff, too. For the items too big to fit in a baggy, I use manila shipping tags and thin wire.