• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here quetion about titleing

BMS07

I was thinking about buying a 900 series 5 ton tractor from a guy. But he said it was a residue truck from GL. What does residue mean? Can I get a title for? Thanks Brad

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings Brad, welcome to Steel Soldiers from sunny south Florida. Residue basically means its a truck with many components missing. This doesn't mean it's not titleable. Basically need to find out what paperwork the dude offering it has. Vehicles released from the government should have an SF97 which a form used to apply for a title. If the truck was bought from Government Liquidation it's very possible that they didn't pass on the SF97. Seems that GL is above the law in some areas. You may also want to check with your state. Some will title with just a bill of sale. The SF97 can confuse some of the tax collectors for sure. I'd check and see what the seller has to offer.

CGarbee

I've noticed a bunch of trucks going up for GL auction now and again that stated in the description that they were "Residue, no SF97 will be issued"... In a couple of cases, the truck looked like it had been dropped on its nose from a vast height... I figured that they thought that anyone who purchased them would part out and scrap what was left (and that no-one would try to resurect what was there for on-road use...). Of course, in one case the trucks looked like they had just been through a Depot Rebuild... This was before the current state of no SF97 until you do their paperwork for them (and pay $$)...

As someone who just forked over some cash and spent some time (along with David Doyle's time tracking down some info-Thanks!) doing paperwork so that I could get a SF97 in order to title a truck that I drove home recently, I'll agree with your thoughts about GL's character... It's wonderful how the fine print in the Code of Federal Regulations can be interpreted. :)

All of that taken above, in NC (and I assume other states), you can still title a vehicle without a SF97 or a title transfer from the previous owner. Some states will work with just a bill of sale, others (like NC) require some forms to be filled out by a LEO and a Bond... I've got info about the NC title by Bond process on my website...

Welcome to the site Brad!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in my state louisisana there is a little know process that you can get a title. only if it isnt more than 2000.00 by going to a local justice of the peace, paying him like 50 bucks for a title search and 25 bucks for some paper work he can grant you legal possesion of the truck, you will need a bill of sale and the paper work that you can get from local police, a afidavid showing that you are in possesion of that truck with the right numbers that match your paperwork. i was going to do this after i bought my truck from Gl but later they aggred to gve me a SF97 for buy sending them the police statment and 60.00 so it is a money thing as usual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks