• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here!

powerarmory

So i recently purchased an 1984 5 ton. Not entirely sure on the exact model and i know I've got a huge learning curve in front of me including buying bigger tools. I've been eyeing an m35a2 and found this one for 6500. It drove great home no problems (40+ miles) until i drive it the second time. drive it 15 miles and as i come off the interstate it acts like its going to die so i start to pull over and it recovers and I start driving again. 2 miles down the road i turn off onto the street i work and it dies a block away and now wont start at all. I flip the switch and it acts like it wans to turn over but doesn't. Figured its got to be a fuel problem so i pulled one of the couplings on the intake and sprayed starter fluid in it and it started up and ran while me spraying it in there. take the fuel filter off (old canister style) and replace the gasket and filter because it was nasty. Rust in the diesel and was just junked up. put a gallon and a half maybe in the canister prior to putting it on and screw it all up and its still not firing up. I take the gas line that goes into the fuel filter off and try to start it to see if gas would even come out and nothing. The gas line look to be copper as well but i didn't follow it to check on the other connection. Anyone know where to check next? i feel like its a simple answer and im just too new to possibly just be missing something. I do know it has the 855 engine in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Yes your truck is suffering from various fuel issues. The fuel pickup in the tank can have rust holes allowing air to suck in. The hoses in the fuel lines can have cracks allowing air to suck in. There might be algae and nasty crap in the fuel tank plugging up the pickup. You need to go over the fuel system stem to stern before considering driving on the highway again. It has been neglected.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So i recently purchased an 1984 5 ton. Not entirely sure on the exact model and i know I've got a huge learning curve in front of me including buying bigger tools. I've been eyeing an m35a2 and found this one for 6500. It drove great home no problems (40+ miles) until i drive it the second time. drive it 15 miles and as i come off the interstate it acts like its going to die so i start to pull over and it recovers and I start driving again. 2 miles down the road i turn off onto the street i work and it dies a block away and now wont start at all. I flip the switch and it acts like it wans to turn over but doesn't. Figured its got to be a fuel problem so i pulled one of the couplings on the intake and sprayed starter fluid in it and it started up and ran while me spraying it in there. take the fuel filter off (old canister style) and replace the gasket and filter because it was nasty. Rust in the diesel and was just junked up. put a gallon and a half maybe in the canister prior to putting it on and screw it all up and its still not firing up. I take the gas line that goes into the fuel filter off and try to start it to see if gas would even come out and nothing. The gas line look to be copper as well but i didn't follow it to check on the other connection. Anyone know where to check next? i feel like its a simple answer and im just too new to possibly just be missing something. I do know it has the 855 engine in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the hobby! Sounds like you picked up a nice deal on your truck. Don't be bashful. Snap a few pictures and post them here. It lets the guys know what kind of powerplant you have and we can help a little easier. Being an 84 model, chances are that you have a M939 Series truck. The Technical Manuals are here for that. All the trucks in that series are in the same set of books. The "-10" is the "Operators Guide". The "-24" books are "Parts and Unit Repairs". Great part is that you can search in Acrobat for Fuel System and get a pretty good picture of what you need to look at. It makes thing go faster when you start investigating a problem.

Again, Welcome to the Green Toy playground!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks