• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Here

BiggsChevys

Recently purchased our first CUCV. Its an M1028 with less than 5k original miles, however it does show its age via UV damage in the interior. Have already discovered a wealth of information here, and am looking forward to learning more.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard brother. You need to post up a pic of your 1028. Love that avatar, I'll show you why tomorrow!

BiggsChevys

Welcome to SS.
The odometers on military vehicles are not always a good indication of actual mileage. The meters are replaced and the military does not care what the previous unit read.
the "story" i was told about the truck, is that it was a frire retardant truck on a runway.... ready for use but rarley used. i am aware that it could all be b.s. but i tend to believe the guy i got it from. there are a few other things that would support the theory too, like the pedals showing no wear. but either way, even with 105k miles i still like it.

It looks pretty darned good to me! Here is my bowtie contribution! Sorry about the pic quality, the sun was non cooperative.
nice, what year is it? between the wife and I we also have two 1974 K5 Blazers, 68 el Camino and 68 Chevelle Wagon that can be seen here at... http://biggschevys.com

Hey im in San Jose also ! if u want to look at mine some time let me know !
sweet, will have to do that!!

on another note, got the dmv paperwork finished up today, plates and all.....

the np 208 popped into "neutral" on my way there.... 2 hi and 4 hi were gone, but 4 low was there. i used 4 lo to get onto a backroad and played with it some more.... no luck. again used 4 lo to turn the truck around accessiable for a tow truck and started playin with the shifter again. 2 hi came back???? i know my cross member is tweeked throwing the linkage out of wack, but.... not sure if that is the cause of the problem. either way, i did make it to dmv and back without any more problems so i cant complain to much.

what does one do about mounting a license plate without modifying the truck?
need good mounting ideas that will not cover the blackout lights or require removing the hitch.

thanks again all

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 is an 86. As the story goes, I've ran the red bowtie plates on just about every Chevy I've owned. I had a short spell here not too long ago where I couldn't find any. I finally found a source and bought myself a little stash. When the CUCV showed up I couldn't resist the temptation to put one of the red bowtie plates on the front but not before I painted the bowtie 34052.

BiggsChevys

i noticed that..... looks good

should you ever find yourself in need of more of the bowtie plates, check with any old chevy restoration company..... year one, original parts group.... ect...

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The west Texas Detachment of the Steel Soldiers welcomes the CUCV driver aboard:-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepart to get underway:!:
Sounds like you've already looked around and have discovered the WEALTH of information and help available here. It's a good crew:wink:
Congrats on the new acquisition. We wish you the best of fortune with her.

Welcom Aboard:!:

BiggsChevys

Found my bunk, stowed my gear.... now I'm off to the motor pool as i need to check out the t-case and replace the bent cross member. (hopefully sooner than later)

Thanks again for the warm welcomes.... :-D

BiggsChevys

well..... monday i start looking for a np208. the case was damaged during transport.
looks like I might be in need of an alternator or two. dead batteries and noisy alt. bearings, go figure on both sides.

BiggsChevys

Possible good news for my M1028....

And little more insite on me and my new M1028.

I was looking for a 3/4 ton parts truck for one of our blazers when I came across a pair of MV Guru's. From them I purchased the m1028. When I explained my t-case issue to the one i bought it from, and asked if he had one for sale..... unfortunately no, but he is reasonably sure he knows where to get one for me... free if he gets it free.... even offered to meet me part way to save me some drive time.... and do all of this tomorrow....

So now I am waiting for a 2pm call hopping to be told to go get the t-case.

BiggsChevys

yes i would prefer a 205, but a free 208 is hard to argue..... and i need something i can slap into it at minimal costs so i can work out any bugs it may have.... toy budget is low right now....

BiggsChevys

Picked up my replacement t-case today....

turns out he is also on this forum... never got his screen name but if he happen to read this, thanks again!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks