• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HH, now a lot of smoke and no power???

AndrewH

I just changed the HH on my Deuce. It started right up and ran. I did notice some hunting at idle. What I really noticed was smoke at idle. When I drove it I had no power. Had to come up the driveway in low 1st. Normally an easy high 2nd hill. I have removed the shut down and the advance cover and checked timing marks. When the damper is on the marked line the advance lines up in the window and the red'scribed HH tooth lines up. I replaced the HH because my old one leaked around one of the allen haed scres on it. The truck ran fine. I'm searching here but have not yet found a similar issue. The manual says to check timing and fuel rate. I do not have a flow bench handy so I'm looking for input. Thanks Andrew

AndrewH

"Hydraulic Head" Its the high pressure assembly on your deuce injection pump. the part where all of the injector lines are arranged in a circle on top. Also, thos those who are looking for answers for me, I may have found an issue....
TM 9 2815 210 34 2 2
Page 807
Frame 6
The HH needs to be one tooth off...... I know what Im doing tomorrow......:p

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right. the red tooth has nothing to do with timing, it is just there for removal of the HH. if all 3 pointers line up it is wrong. really kind of stupid design if you think about it, but in another way it is nessacary so the HH cam will be on low spot to install HH easier. i think you will find bratpackdad is right with the solution. that is with the pointer in the timing cover lined up.

tom

AndrewH

OK, I moved the HH today. Verified the tooth is now one tooth to the right of the pointer. Still smoking and still not much power. I'm going to put the leaky one back on and see if it straightenes out. Maby this HH is doo do. :sad: News to follow.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if it runs, the HH is good. are you sure you have the injector lines on correctly? i cannot imagine how you would get the HH off or on again unless the drive gear is in exactly the right spot with out bending the drive gear cover plate. with the HH out, you can look into the top of pump and line up the drive gear so it is aimed right at the center of the plunger cam. at this point the timing pointer will be at extreme edge of opening towards engine. now the red tooth should be at its pointer.

tom

AndrewH

Injector lines are correct. as compared to another running truck and the plate on the top of the head. And I didnt have to bend any to make fit. If the FDC sticks, what symptoms should I expect? I would think if it was getting too much fuel it would run away. It idles nicely, just smoking a lot.... I put the original HH on today. Still not happy. So it has got to be something I did or didn't do.....:?.... Back to the book.

AndrewH

I do not see any signs of liquid collecting. there is a fair amount of soot buildup. If I run the truck at an elevated rpm, say 1800 It the smoke clears some but does not go away.

bratpackdad

"Hydraulic Head" Its the high pressure assembly on your deuce injection pump. the part where all of the injector lines are arranged in a circle on top. Also, thos those who are looking for answers for me, I may have found an issue....
TM 9 2815 210 34 2 2
Page 807
Frame 6
The HH needs to be one tooth off...... I know what Im doing tomorrow......:p

Try Tm 9-2910-226-34

AndrewH

I have read thru the pump manual as well. It says the same thing in more words. The posted information will get you to similar literature. Same idea, different manual. Thanks tho.

AndrewH

No sir. It idles about 800, WITH smoke. Not the black cloud you'd get with heavy, loaded accel. More like long hill cloud. Say, pulling the 146 up the on-ramp but not really beating the truck. But if I try driving the truck it will go down the drive, pull out onto the road and begin to speed up. Once you get to 3rd, it doesnt pull anymore and loses power, pretty soon it will die. if you let off it will struggle home in low range. If it dies it is a pain to restart. Once it does restart your back to a very smoky idle at avout 800.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stuck injector? valves out of ajustment? i am not a diesel guy, so you may not want to take my advise. i just know some of the biggest problems i've sometimes had have always been something simple and i tend to over think things. So is there anything basic you could check like that just to make you have a starting point? like check compression timing, fuel pressure...etc.? :?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What pump do you have ? If you have an F or G pump and put the non oiled head on them then you must block off oil port in the IP.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
really excessive black smoke is lack of air, or too much fuel. have you taken the air filter off and checked for blockage? how long did truck sit before new HH was installed? maybe someone built a nest.

tom

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this truck have a turbo? Does your turbo spin freely? A siezed turbo could give you the same issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks