• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV owner with questions.

smillysmil

Hey all!

Just won a M1123 at auction. I'm super excited, It's a little rough around the edges but runs and supposedly drives. I just have a couple of questions... or maybe a few. For background, I'm Active Duty and I'm a mechanic as a hobby. So you can say the HMMWV platform is not new to me. Anyway... enough beating around the bush let's get into the questions.

1. I need batteries... and I need them fairly cheap. Not talking about Hawkers, 6TLs, odeysee's, Armasafe, etc. You get the gist. I've been browsing the forums and I'm seeing group 24's and possibly 65's? What is the CCA range to look for? Do they need to be AGM? I plan on possibly doing internal comms and radio (Ham or CB, undecided) but not quite sure about additional lighting. But yeah I need something because I need a way to get the thing off the truck when it gets here.

2. Tires. Where and how? Looks like I might need to start thinking about tires on this one. Is it as simple as just taking to Discount Tire?

3. Obviously it hasn't been released yet. But I'd like to know. How long does the EUC (End-Use Certificate) take for the average user? Ritchie Bros says up to 60 days. But I'd like to know how long it has taken you to get accepted.

I'm sure I'm missing some other questions off the top of my head, but this is a start.

Thank in advance.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O’Rileys 6tl battery I just replaced both batteries and they were 229.00 each and I had to have a core of any battery or size.
Feltz for tires or csm. I just got 4 98% tires and wheels from Feltz and I couldn’t be happier. Tires still had nubs on the tread surface. I don’t know anything about current EUC times

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also consider getting buddy buddy with an NCO or officer down in the motorpool and see if they can help you out a bit, even if it's just taking it down for an inspection and seeing what they say you need to do. Might cost you a 12 pack or two, but will likely be well worth it.

For batteries, 6t series are the originals, but 6tl through any civilian source typically comes with a commercial/specialty battery warranty of 6 months, when group 24 batteries can be hadfor much less money and much better warranty. 6T is way overkill unless you plan to try starting the truck down well below 0 degrees farenheit.
The military uses 6T series because that's what they use in bigger trucks.
The AGM are a lot more resistant to abuse, and won't off gas hydrogen during normal charging like flooded lead acid will. Less maintenance required as well.
The civilian H1 uses a par of 800 CCA batteries, and the original 6t series were in the 660 CCA range, so as long as you're above that you should be fine.
Only real advantage to 6TAGM is the huge reserve capacity, so you can run accessories with the engine off. And being able to brag that you can afford 6TAGM batteries

Tires I can wholeheartedly recommend Feltz tire as well. Good prices, guaranteed date codes if you want to spend a little extra, and top notch customer service.

smillysmil

You might also consider getting buddy buddy with an NCO or officer down in the motorpool and see if they can help you out a bit, even if it's just taking it down for an inspection and seeing what they say you need to do. Might cost you a 12 pack or two, but will likely be well worth it.

For batteries, 6t series are the originals, but 6tl through any civilian source typically comes with a commercial/specialty battery warranty of 6 months, when group 24 batteries can be hadfor much less money and much better warranty. 6T is way overkill unless you plan to try starting the truck down well below 0 degrees farenheit.
The military uses 6T series because that's what they use in bigger trucks.
The AGM are a lot more resistant to abuse, and won't off gas hydrogen during normal charging like flooded lead acid will. Less maintenance required as well.
The civilian H1 uses a par of 800 CCA batteries, and the original 6t series were in the 660 CCA range, so as long as you're above that you should be fine.
Only real advantage to 6TAGM is the huge reserve capacity, so you can run accessories with the engine off. And being able to brag that you can afford 6TAGM batteries

Tires I can wholeheartedly recommend Feltz tire as well. Good prices, guaranteed date codes if you want to spend a little extra, and top notch customer service.
You're in Olympia? Then you'll definitely see me around. Haha, that's a good idea. Might end up just going 24 group Walmart AGM that has 710 CCA. Funds are now low so gonna stretch the dollar as much as I can.

Looked into Feltz Tire and I was completely blown away. Hardley used tires for such a great price

Reactions: cwc

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're in Olympia? Then you'll definitely see me around. Haha, that's a good idea. Might end up just going 24 group Walmart AGM that has 710 CCA. Funds are now low so gonna stretch the dollar as much as I can.

Looked into Feltz Tire and I was completely blown away. Hardly used tires for such a great price
The maintenance free or the batteries with the inset vent caps, so they have a completely flat top, will work with the original hold down brackets. If it has the raised vent caps then it won't.
The picture at the bottom is a set of group 24 AGM batteries, so the same size and flat top.

I'm near Olympia, but not actually in it. Olympia is a place people have heard of, the little towns around it not so much.

If you're on facecrook at all, that's how the local military vehicle guys tend to communicate and do events around here.

It's still getting set up, but we're going to have a maintenance day soon, likely either Olympia or Centralia area for all the MVs that want to show up. When I know I'll send you the info and you can come meet a few of the local guys.

Plus a campout rally thing the third weekend of July down in Winlock area.

A couple years ago I bought 4 2018+ Baja tires 100% tread, and the 4 shipped to a freight dock in Tacoma was in the $1400ish range. Would have been a couple hundred more to my house.

pic of 24AGM batteries
a123f4f5dd8e3adf5c286ad751292544eb0d428b-1.jpg

Reactions: cwc
I have group 65 in mine and they fit with room left over but I also can't use the factory hold downs. I believe group 31 also fits in there but it's probably a tight fit. Group 31 batteries are probably the biggest and most CCA you can fit under the seat.

I also use feltz tires, just got 2 the other day that were old with a 2008 DOT date but because they are so old they were selling them for 60 bucks a tire before shipping.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because of the closed in nature of the battery box I am not comfortable with conventional batteries due to the possibility of hydrogen accumulation.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kitsap Co.

Is it from San Yermo?

I would strongly suggest that you have it shipped from the auction yard to Retired War Horses and let Steven give it the once-over. Yeah, it'll add to the expense up front but it'll save you more money in the future. You don't need to have him fix anything, just ask him to look it over and tell you what it needs. That will save you $$$ in not buying the wrong parts or worse, wrecking something like a start box. If you want him to make á la carte repairs you can't, he can do that too.

He looked mine over and installed a couple commercial batteries and they've had no trouble starting it; 2½ years now I think.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The group 31s will fit and so will group 29. The group 29s are mainly for farm use but of you're on the budget it may be the way to go. I would absolutely go with surplus 24 bolt wheels with the 37" MTRs for some good deals. My .02 cents.

Mark

Group 29 battery

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The group 31s will fit and so will group 29. The group 29s are mainly for farm use but of you're on the budget it may be the way to go. I would absolutely go with surplus 24 bolt wheels with the 37" MTRs for some good deals. My .02 cents.

Mark

Group 29 battery
typically the surplus MTR are recommended against due to their high failure rate.
I bought a set that was less than 10 years old and 90%+ tread.
Within 6 months the sidewalls were failing.
Military put out a bulletin that all MTR tires over 5 years old were to be removed and disposed of for safety reasons.

Now MT tires last forever. I have some 10+ year old ones on a trailer and have no issues with running them. I ran some that were 20 years old on the HMMWV for a while, but they had been stored in an enclosed trailer for about 15 years, so not much UV damage.

Baja I'm not sure how well they hold up with higher years on them, but no reports of failures like the MTR that I have heard.

smillysmil

Welcome from Kitsap Co.

Is it from San Yermo?

I would strongly suggest that you have it shipped from the auction yard to Retired War Horses and let Steven give it the once-over. Yeah, it'll add to the expense up front but it'll save you more money in the future. You don't need to have him fix anything, just ask him to look it over and tell you what it needs. That will save you $$$ in not buying the wrong parts or worse, wrecking something like a start box. If you want him to make á la carte repairs you can't, he can do that too.

He looked mine over and installed a couple commercial batteries and they've had no trouble starting it; 2½ years now I think.
From Yermo? It sure is!

Oh man I wish I knew about that beforehand. Already paid for the transportation to WA. Oh well.. I'll keep that in mind next time.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
typically the surplus MTR are recommended against due to their high failure rate.
I bought a set that was less than 10 years old and 90%+ tread.
Within 6 months the sidewalls were failing.
Military put out a bulletin that all MTR tires over 5 years old were to be removed and disposed of for safety reasons.

Now MT tires last forever. I have some 10+ year old ones on a trailer and have no issues with running them. I ran some that were 20 years old on the HMMWV for a while, but they had been stored in an enclosed trailer for about 15 years, so not much UV damage.

Baja I'm not sure how well they hold up with higher years on them, but no reports of failures like the MTR that I have heard.

I've heard that too with the MTRs but all I can say is I've had mine for six years now with zero issues and they look like new. I have two 100% spares in case I do have issues.

Mark

CapePrep

Welcome and hope you are a hands on guy. Great rigs to learn on. I get a sense you are "budget minded". Just saying, parts for these are expensive, the mileage is horrid and overall not a cheap hobby. But, the smiles per mile are worth it if you credit cards are up for it! If I am way off here, I apologize!

smillysmil

Welcome and hope you are a hands on guy. Great rigs to learn on. I get a sense you are "budget minded". Just saying, parts for these are expensive, the mileage is horrid and overall not a cheap hobby. But, the smiles per mile are worth it if you credit cards are up for it! If I am way off here, I apologize!
Thanks! I love projects. So this is definitely a big one. My family says I'm cheap. So that probably paints a good picture. Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a HMMWV so I'm pretty excited but worried for what is about to be a tremendously expensive project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks