• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV owner

Stezy

Hello, I am both new to this forum and MVs, I had won an auction for an M1151A1 back in September for $20k, (not including anything else) the humvee is pretty clean, intact windshield and all other components, runs and drives nice. This is an ECV HMMWV, is that a normal price for a running humvee nowadays? Or was that too high of a bid? Also any recommendations on tires?

blutow

Hello, I am both new to this forum and MVs, I had won an auction for an M1151A1 back in September for $20k, (not including anything else) the humvee is pretty clean, intact windshield and all other components, runs and drives nice. This is an ECV HMMWV, is that a normal price for a running humvee nowadays? Or was that too high of a bid? Also any recommendations on tires?
congrats on the new truck. Unless you are a car dealer looking to sell/flip it, it's worth whatever it's worth to you. If you made it through the auction process without any big expensive surprises, it should be all good. I bought in September also and I think auction prices have gone up a bit, but it seems that the auctions are all over the place. I didn't buy mine for resale, so I'm happily dumping stupid $ into it that I'll never recoup. Hobbies and cars/trucks are not generally good investments. They produced way too many hmmwv's for them to be a good investment vehicles.

If you are going for originality, you can buy new goodyear MT's or BFG's or find some military surplus tires with recent date codes. If you are looking for a little bling and much wider tire options, you can go with aftermarket wheels and that opens up all kinds of tire options.

Stezy

Welcome and congratulations! Prices are all over the map. It has a lot to do with 2 people wanting the same truck. Pics might help also
This is the truck, was able to drive it up my driveway no problem, currently working on surplus doors right now. It also seems that non running trucks of the same model only go for about half that or a little more than half, are the non runners that much work?

Attachments

Stezy

congrats on the new truck. Unless you are a car dealer looking to sell/flip it, it's worth whatever it's worth to you. If you made it through the auction process without any big expensive surprises, it should be all good. I bought in September also and I think auction prices have gone up a bit, but it seems that the auctions are all over the place. I didn't buy mine for resale, so I'm happily dumping stupid $ into it that I'll never recoup. Hobbies and cars/trucks are not generally good investments. They produced way too many hmmwv's for them to be a good investment vehicles.

If you are going for originality, you can buy new goodyear MT's or BFG's or find some military surplus tires with recent date codes. If you are looking for a little bling and much wider tire options, you can go with aftermarket wheels and that opens up all kinds of tire options.
Thank you for your insight, I'm definitely not looking to sell and flip it, I like it too much for that, lmao. And no big surprises so far, doing fluids right now and waiting on sf97.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So @Stezy ,

Welcome to the outfit! Looks like a lot of the guys have already chimed in and suggested their thoughts about your new-to-you truck. My opinion on the value is a lot like yours. It seems good if you got what you want and you are happy to have it. I have bought several things and not always at rock bottom prices. The good news is that everything in the last few years has gone up in value. AND, even though I doubt I will ever sell any of my green hardware - at least in my mind - it is worth more than when I bought them.

Nobody mentioned the TM's (Technical Manuals) that are posted here. I'd suggest that you look for and download "The Books". They will help you know what to grease and what oil should be where and how often it should be changed. All good stuff to keep your new tan sweetheart running at her peak. Oil and grease are cheap - MV parts - not so much.

Take a look too in the Classifieds Section. There are doors and air conditioner parts there for sale. Compare what is there to whatever search engine you might use to compare prices with. There are a bunch of really good folks here that will sometimes cut you a good deal.

ANWAY, again Welcome to the group!

Stezy

So @Stezy ,

Welcome to the outfit! Looks like a lot of the guys have already chimed in and suggested their thoughts about your new-to-you truck. My opinion on the value is a lot like yours. It seems good if you got what you want and you are happy to have it. I have bought several things and not always at rock bottom prices. The good news is that everything in the last few years has gone up in value. AND, even though I doubt I will ever sell any of my green hardware - at least in my mind - it is worth more than when I bought them.

Nobody mentioned the TM's (Technical Manuals) that are posted here. I'd suggest that you look for and download "The Books". They will help you know what to grease and what oil should be where and how often it should be changed. All good stuff to keep your new tan sweetheart running at her peak. Oil and grease are cheap - MV parts - not so much.

Take a look too in the Classifieds Section. There are doors and air conditioner parts there for sale. Compare what is there to whatever search engine you might use to compare prices with. There are a bunch of really good folks here that will sometimes cut you a good deal.

ANWAY, again Welcome to the group!
Thank you for the input, I will be sure to check out the TMs, Hopefully my sf97 will come back sooner rather than later, I'm dying to take it to work!

diesel_dave

I paid ~15k before taxes and fees for an M1152 (two man truck style) so ~5k more for the four man hard top and slant back is probably not too bad since those parts would cost way more than $5k to add later. Your truck has more corrosion and is maybe in a little worse cosmetic shape than mine but nothing that can't be fixed. Congrats and have fun with it!

Hummer Guy

This is the truck, was able to drive it up my driveway no problem, currently working on surplus doors right now. It also seems that non running trucks of the same model only go for about half that or a little more than half, are the non runners that much work?
In my opinion, you got a crazily good deal, just that top itself is worth a fortune

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks