• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV Owners - great older U.S. Army video HMMWV Operation 1991

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice review of operations. FNG's should watch re.: the constant questions about transfer case and shifting and operation of glow plugs

Best:

T.

NormB

I had these videos tagged on youtube to watch later, just watched them from your link.

That was SO reassuring, watching the driver fight with the TC lever in the second video. It's been so long since I'd driven one I was thinking there was something WRONG with mine.

Nope. Just a HMMWV.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat! I'd never seen these. Will watch them this weekend with Soldier B, otherwise known as my 7yo son. He will enjoy them, and secretly learn, bwahahahahaha. (It's a parent thing.)

About that transfer case shifting....
HMMWV's can shift the transfer case while the engine is running??????? Mine made horrible good old fashioned gear grinding noises when I tried that, not knowing what to expect in the early days of getting it running.

Should I pull harder???? This was after full servicing of fluids, to include new fluid in the T-case, and nothing yucky or bad observed int eh fluid I removed from it (checked all fluids carefully as they exited).

I've been shutting the motor off to shift the T-case. Would love to get the knack of doing it while running (yes, transmission in N of course).

Bulldogger

ryanruck

About that transfer case shifting....
HMMWV's can shift the transfer case while the engine is running??????? Mine made horrible good old fashioned gear grinding noises when I tried that, not knowing what to expect in the early days of getting it running.

Should I pull harder???? This was after full servicing of fluids, to include new fluid in the T-case, and nothing yucky or bad observed int eh fluid I removed from it (checked all fluids carefully as they exited).

I've been shutting the motor off to shift the T-case. Would love to get the knack of doing it while running (yes, transmission in N of course).
I've had several full size Jeep Grand Wagoneers and a full size Cherokee over the years (none any longer though) and all of them would do the same thing. It's perfectly normal. The key isn't to necessarily to pull the lever harder but rather to pull it faster into your desired gear range. For example, if you want low, don't hesitate in neutral. Pull right through it quickly.

It takes a little practice but you can get to where it rarely grinds.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks