• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV questions

sgtmike3

My department recently received a used 1998 M998 through the LESO program. We are quite happy with our acquisition. It starts and runs great, is in very good condition, no major problems or damage.

We have obtained all of the manuals from the military including the -10. -20, -24, and -34.

We do, however, have a few questions for some other HMMWV owners.

1. What is the most reliable/inexpensive way to get 12V DC for radios and civilian equipment?

2. Is there a reliable and resilient method for changing the color of the soft tops? Paint/Dye?

3. Paint. What would be the best way to repaint a vehicle that has 2 coats of CARC (green and tan)?

4. Is there a way to replace the military wiper blade arms with a commercial style, or modify a common commercial arm, that will use regular wiper blades?

Thanks in advance for any help. We have some great ideas for this old workhorse, we just need a little help getting there. I'll be sure to post some pics when we get going with the work. So far we have been able to obtain new doors (basic armor), a new soft top, and a few other small parts. We are waiting on the door hardware and replacement headlights and hope to get the work done before summer.

Thanks,

Mike

ACBMWM#

1. What is the most reliable/inexpensive way to get 12V DC for radios and civilian equipment?

-How do you mean? Like where to buy the equipment? or make it so the rig can run 12v equipment?

2. Is there a reliable and resilient method for changing the color of the soft tops? Paint/Dye?

-No sure about doing a re- dye. What about getting a slant back or helmet hard top instead and painting it black or something to go with your usual dept. rigs?

3. Paint. What would be the best way to repaint a vehicle that has 2 coats of CARC (green and tan)?

-are you looking to keep the truck green or tan? or are you going to repaint it

4. Is there a way to replace the military wiper blade arms with a commercial style, or modify a common commercial arm, that will use regular wiper blades?

-I suggest talking with a service rep or technician a a hummer dealer. You may be able to convert the Mil. wiper motor and arms to civy ones using a 12v converter.

sgtmike3

Thanks for the response and additional questions - I have made some clarifications.

-How do you mean? Like where to buy the equipment? or make it so the rig can run 12v equipment?
We need to add 12v lights and radios. The alternator is the older style and is 24v only. I know we can install a DC-DC converter, but I've also heard about installing a 12v alternator in addition to the 24v to produce dedicated 12v power. Just looking for opinions on different ideas.

-What about getting a slant back or helmet hard top instead and painting it black or something to go with your usual dept. rigs?
We are looking into that but the cost of the tops is prohibitive at this time. For the immediate future we are stuck to the soft top, although we were able to obtain a NIB white soft top. It still would be nice to know if the tops could be dyed.

-are you looking to keep the truck green or tan? or are you going to repaint it
Yes, we are going to repaint the entire truck. Looking at a black and white paint job. Local paint guy is concerned with the CARC paint. What would we need to do to paint over the CARC? Would we be better off removing the CARC?

Last edited:

ACBMWM#

I have seen some dual alt. kits around. I just a Samlex 24v to 12v converter and it works great.
if the soft top is white I think it should dye fine, waterproof coating on it may be troublesome however as it may resist the dye. But if your doing a black and white paint job I think the white is fine until you get a hard top. (Gov Liquidation has them all the time.)
as for the paint. I don't see an issue painting over the CARC. as long as its sanded. I would most likely put a coat of primer between the CARC and the new paint. That way it goes on nice and smooth.:beer:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be a government agency that can assist in a surplus hardtop .Maybe one of the members who familiar with securing equipment for fire depts. will post up .

sgtmike3

There may be a government agency that can assist in a surplus hardtop .Maybe one of the members who familiar with securing equipment for fire depts. will post up .
Actually we are a government agency, just with a very limited budget, and have made great use of the available resources of the DRMS service. We have been able to obtain a significant amount of parts and equipment through the service. However, where we are located there are 3 depots in close proximity but they do not always have the items we are looking for available.

Items like the hard top and slant back are often difficult to locate. The Helmet Hart Tops would be a great alternative but they, too, are hard to find in the system. The last ones I did find were in Germany.

Mike

idM1028

I'll see if I can sneak a peak at some of the soft tops tommorrow, maybe talk to some mechanics. I'm pretty sure they're just a heavy vinyl or plastic. You might want to look into something like this:
Vinyl, Leather, Plastic and Bumper Coatings# (Scroll down to vinyl and plastic coatings)
Not sure how durable it would be on exterior pieces, but if it does chip, wear out, whatever, you could probably just put another coat on. CARC paint will chip after a while and you'd probably have to do the same thing with it on a hardtop.

Last edited:

sgtmike3

Would DRMO be able to put you on some type of list that when the items you want become avail. You can get dibs?
Yes, we do have a contact at our most local DRMO. He does keep looking for some parts for us, but with the volume of stuff they deal with it is often overlooked. I have a list of NSN numbers of pieces and parts we are looking for, but with the military they change from time to time.

As an example, there are several armored doors available, different NSN numbers but they all picture a left rear door. And to make matters worse, the NSN's don't appear in any of the manuals (even the Add-on Armor 9-2510-251-24). I believe they are for the HArD kit, but I can't find the numbers for the doors in that kit.

Anyway, we just keep searching away and hope for the best.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

hughscpa

I have not messed with a HMMWV yet but have painted the soft top on our deuce. I just used regular automotive paint and it has lasted for two years now without any problems. I just sprayed it as I painted the rest of the truck. I did not strip the old paint off the trucks and have used automotive paint and rustoleum and had good results with both. Just my 2cents Pics would be great.

idM1028

Talked to the chief mechanic for the unit today. He said the soft tops are dyed. Apparently, due to them being flexible (and the inevitable flexing that comes with being flexible) paint would chip. His words, not mine.

sgtmike3

Talked to the chief mechanic for the unit today. He said the soft tops are dyed. Apparently, due to them being flexible (and the inevitable flexing that comes with being flexible) paint would chip. His words, not mine.
That was my guess as well. Since I've got two tops I might try using some trim dye on the old one to see how well it works. Since I can't find a matching rear curtain I might dye the current one to match the new color scheme.

As for the paint I've talked to some local vets who said they have had [military] "good" results with power washing/scrubbing the old CARC paint and painting directly over. I will find out soon, boss would like to have this thing done last week.

On a side note, I did get some good news that the LED lights I've been looking at for the lighting package are rated 10-30 v DC so I don't have to worry about 12 volts for them. Still need 12 volts for radio. And if I can find a military or other 24v siren, then I would be in business!

sgtmike3

That is some great news on the wiper arms. I was about ready to head to the local junk yard and find some to "modify". I'll grab a pair of jeep ones. Thanks!

Mike

battlebuggy

The question asked was if the wiper arms and blades can be replaced by a regular civvy blade setup and yes they can. We also have a lot of Mil Veh collectors on the forum so I would add a little to this topic. The jeep arms and blades work but they look like Jeep Wrangler arms not HMMWV. The arms and the blades are not the military type, and look it. But they work great. I have tried them and wanted to add this in case you are just looking for your wipers to work in the rain or are concerned that the vehicle look correct as built. Also the HMMWV mil style arms and blades are available at NAPA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks