• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV questions

sgtmike3

Battlebuggy,

With information like this, feel free to chime in anytime. I really appreciate you letting me know that NAPA has the standard wiper blades - that alone makes everything very nice. I was thinking that it would be very difficult to find those blades in civilian channels, but I guess I was wrong. And the price is very reasonable. I also noticed that NAPA also carries a full set of LED exterior lights for the HMMWV, however, they are not so reasonably priced.

I was not concerned with keeping it "authentic", just needing to make it functional. Now if my wiper motor would arrive it would be so much better.

Since I started this thread we have made some headway on planning on next few steps. We are getting the HMMWV painted in the next two weeks. Chief wants to go with a black and white theme - black body/hood/tub and white doors. It will also have a white soft top. Still looking for a white curtain - I think I will have to order that one. The interior will receive a nice coat of bedliner on the floors and tunnel since we have no insulation.

I have found a company, Soundoff Signal, that manufactures LED warning lights of various types and styles. Most of their surface mount lights are wide voltage lights (10Vdc to 30Vdc). I was able to come up with a reasonably priced lighting package that will be all surface mounts.

I am still researching spotlights/scene lights. We need to have the ability for a lot of solid white light. Has anyone mounted a unity spotlight on their HMMWV (front, not in roof)? I have been looking at some of the LED spot/area lights. Quite a few are available, but I'm having some difficulty with where to mount them since we are keeping the soft top for now. Most likely we will put some brackets on the front bumper and also mount a few in the rear. If anyone has some ideas I'd be happy to listen. I did find the thread on the Aurora lights - they look great, are any still around?

Thanks again for all the great ideas and help.

Mike

Well sence your in Ohio, you might want to get a hold of "Jason" aka "Action" on the G503 link. He has a hole bunch of parts and Beltfed as well.

LED, taillamps, go to ebay there is a guy selling them for $25.00 brand new, if your a goverment agency you can buy LED lighting direct from Trucklite with a GPC.

As far as painting plastic or rubber, most paint suppliers will sell an additive called a "flex agent" that when painting plastic or rubber will make it flexiable and makes it stick with no pealing. I have used before works great.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Would DRMO be able to put you on some type of list that when the items you want become avail. You can get dibs?

you can set up a "want list" on the DRMO site. I did it for some items my Sheriffs Office is wanting...its very easy to do.

my SO is in the same boat (w/the new HMMWV).

There are several places around the states that have hard tops listed on DRMO. It might save some money vs using dye or buying a new soft top.

If you shoot me your email i will email you a document I put together w/NSN numbers for HMMWV wheels, tops, racks, etc.

commofreq

4. Is there a way to replace the military wiper blade arms with a commercial style, or modify a common commercial arm, that will use regular wiper blades?

I hate to dig up old threads, but that's what we have to do when we're looking for info, so, we might as well add new findings. As was pointed out, old Jeep CJ7 wiper arms will fit and that way you can get new wipers from your local Autozone. Which is practical. However, there is another option if you're looking to preserve the original M998 wiper arms:

Check out the Trico 61-110 61 Series Heavy Duty Silver Wiper Blade for Flat Windshields, 11" - you can get 'em on Amazon.

These are basically just cheap replacements which are exactly like the originals, without paying a fortune for the originals simply because they have an NSN.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks