• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV spy photos

superburban

Yeah, original payload with all of the armor. So, you get to keep the armor protection, but you also get the lost payload back. As I understand, the hybrid version is not going to be the production model.
And about the hybrid system being a nightmare, it depends on the particular model. I read up, and saw pictures of a M998 that was converted to diesel/electric that looked very simple. It ditched the whole drivetrain, except for the axles. There were 2 drive motors, one for the front axle, one for the rear, and the engine compartment housed the 1.9 liter(!) VW TDI engine that powered a generator for charging up the batteries stored under the center tunnel, where the transmission/transfer-case/drivelines/fuel tank used to live. It was even reported to be capable of 20 miles of "stealth mode" wherein the engine/generator was shut down and the motors were ran off from batttery power only.

It's really a smart way to power a truck! Most of the time, the huge HP, and therefore the huge engine displacement, is not needed, just for accelerating or hill climbing, so having a giant engine is not needed, when you can have a small, more efficient engine running at it's optimum RPM to charge the batteries, only when commanded by the computer. The batteries store up a lot of power ready for use during acceleration, or hill climbing. In conventional, direct drive drivetrains, the engine is seldom in it's optimum RPM range, thus wasting a good portion of it's fuel. Also, when cruising, you dont need a lot of power to propell the vehicle, but the large engine needed for the high demand times uses more fuel just to keep itself moving.

ClarkeF

Barnstormer said:
I was up in Salida, Colorado today, and saw these trucks at a gas station. New HMMWV? They had manufacturer plates on them, packed with data collecting gizmos. The driver of one of them (with a heavy accent...German?) said it was the new model. Said it was OK to take some pics, but didn't seem like he wanted to answer any questions.

Here ya go!
(sorry if this is old news)
Looks like the ECV2 prototype that AMG showed at Hummer Home Coming in 2006. The Expanded (Extended?) Capacity Variant 2 HMMWV had a whole bunch of modifications that we are just now starting to see move into production:

On-Board Diagnostics/Built-in-Test
Enhanced load carrying capacity
22.5" wheels
3-piece frame
Vertical cooling stack
Quick-disconnects that allow engine/tranny swap in less than 2 hours
Allison 5-speed transmission
4-pot disk brake calipers with quick-change pads
Semi-Active suspension (magnetic fluid dampers ala GM's new corvette I think)
Underhood batteries
ABS
16K GVWR
AC condenser under hood.
Optimizer 6500 Engine

The model on display also had the floor area and roofline raised about 7" and much more room inside. As I seem to recall the HVAC components were under the floor in that raised section.

I've got pictures if anyone is interested?

Cheers,

Clarke

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: New HMMWV spy photos

They had a vehicle at the last AUSA convention 06 I attended that was a rock crawler and could go 100MPH too it was awesome they might have packed on under a HMMWV body too but I don't know if they were speaking German maybe they are Arnolds personnal flee

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at that show at Quantico last week.. Saw and talked to everyone from Oshkosh, AMG, Navistar, and others.. The AM General HMMWV isnt going anywhere anytime soon. Uncle Sam will take SEVERAL years to figure out what he wants.. And getting a JOINT vehicle that everyone can agree to is just about impossible.... (look at the JTRS radio program for proof)
Then it needs to get produced.. Bottom line, the Army and USMC will take YEARS after the contract award to get fully fielded...

I'll post some pics on Monday...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hybrid...shudder....They are a POS to diagnose. Hope we don't do that! As for the looks, I'm likes it!

Lars

Hummvee's in general are a nightmare to fix, especially at 0300 in the morning,
when a convoy has just rolled in from an ambush and fluids are leaking everywhere.
I have hated hummvee's since the begining, I am in favor of a vehicle designed with armor from the start not an after thought.
I am on my way back to Afghanistan again.

Metzger

AM General is a stone throw from me. These things are starting to pile up. It looks like the're starting to specialize them now. Basically trick them out for their function. Next time I go by there I'll snap a couple of shots.

(Thank you for fighting for our country Lars)

In this video early on it shows a road that flanks the plant. This lot is now filling up with the new one. Still alot of old one around though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCc81ndrUXI

K45

Thats really cool. I saw Internationals new concept for their hummer replacement. It lookse nice. This hummer looks a little odd with the taller nose. i guess they went with a vertical radiator so not have any problems. Reminds me kinda of a school bus. Still very cool. Can not wait to see more. :-D

m35tech

If you go the mil site for AM General its the new version with the higher output 6.5 Turbo, a and the Allison Trans, the had to redesign the hood for a couple of reasons, legal issue over the 5 slots on the grill "jeep" and to allow the engine and trans to fit inside the frame better, and this ones built out of Galvanized steel, not aluminum, bigger engine, bigger trans, bigger wheels and brakes

K45

Looking over it again. Those are some big wheel and somewhat a low profile tire. i wonder what the advantages are with this set up? i know bigger wheels and low profile tire take away from the comfort of the ride and feel the bumps easier. I wonder how a wagon and a slantback would look with the shorter bed it has?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks