• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New in town

Foreverunstopable

Hi everyone. Great site!! I keep on burning the midnight oil well into the morning reading, learning and most of all wishing I had an M35A2. I'm pretty new to these trucks and don't exactly have all the money in the world to play with, just a college and part time paycheck to work with. I've checked out the GL site and it seems that there are a few up for auction down here in Florida. I hope to get a hold of one real soon. If anyone has a few leads on trucks down south please let me know. Again great site and I look forward to learning from you all in the near future.

Semper Fi

acetomatoco

Lots of folks in FL to help you... These trucks have been my firends for over 40 years. Keep in mind that they are big trucks and need maintenance and fuel...

Sarge

Welcome! Marine? You are in the right place. I have had the MV disease since childhood. This site is the best resource I have found to date. And believe me, I've looked everywhere. The answers to 99% of your questions can be found here. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Does that sound familiar? The amount of (free) information here is outstanding, if you don't find it, ASK. If anyone gives you an answer that seems like BS, 5 others will see it and correct it. Truth is, this is the lowest BS site I've found. Free info, free technical manuals, free lunch. Well, 2 out of 3 is not bad. Now, go out and get a deuce. Ummm... one suggestion, buy the best one you can afford, it will save you headaches later and a deuce is a pretty useless garden ornament. Do not buy a deuce at a GL auction unless you look at it first. It's usually too good to be true. Take a buddy with you who knows something about deuces, preferably a buddy who owns one. Or heck, ask this list for advice. Good advice from another list member, check if your neighbourhood has restrictions, you might not be able to park it at home.
There is no cure......
-Sarge

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the family Marine! The other guys are right. We will be more than happy to help you find a truck and learn all there is to know about it. The search button is your friend. Pop a few words in there from your question and you will be amazed with how many threads show up for your review.

Also, as ACE would say, download or buy the manuals and read them in bed every night to know your truck inside and out before you buy it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from S Fla! I'm in the area of West Palm Beach so let me know if I can help you.

Foreverunstopable

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah I've looked on the net and I really like this site. Recovery or other FL members that know about this stuff, would anyone be interested in looking at a few trucks with me or for me? Going back on the not knowing my pucker from a hole in the ground when it comes to M35's I could use a guru to assist in the inspection. I have never purchased from Govt auctions but that seems to be a place to start. I'm im college and work only part time so the funding is pretty thin.

Good advice from another list member, check if your neighborhood has restrictions, you might not be able to park it at home.
Not exactly why I'm buying the truck but I had an M-715 that I restored during my enlistment, when i brought it home the neighbors turned their noses up and now I don't have to talk to them anymore. It was interesting to find out that the older and bigger your truck is the more space everyone on the road down here gives you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can help look at stuff around here but Starke is a 5 hr ride in a car and 6 in a deuce. If you go, take a plethora of pics and we'll try to decipher them for you. The only GL location within a few hours of me is Homestead and they've not had much stuff lately.

Foreverunstopable

I talked to the site manager for Starke. He said that all the trucks are sitting as it, I understand that but then to told me that I would not be able to try and start the truck. Reason being 1. I'm not stationed there and 2. that the trucks are drained of all their fluids ect. I would have thought DRMO leaves the fluids in. Does any of this sound right. I'm considering driving up there Monday but if they wont let me try to start the truck it seems like a gamble to tow it back and possibly have serious internal issues. Any ideas?

dirtyfingernails

I saw some of those trucks on GL in Starke. They look pretty dang good! One winch model looked to be perfect. I'd be curious to know what condition you found them in if you go out there.

motorolanut

Welcome....keep watching GL many, many trucks in Chambersburg PA and Kansas coming up soon on the block...There are M813's 5 tons in Florida on GL right now or starting soon..around the 20th i think...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks